Black Spots?

horselove

Songster
6 Years
Nov 23, 2015
NY
At the beginning of summer my buff got a small cut on top of her beak that never completely healed, though i don't know if this is connected, and the spots on the brown's comb seem to have randomly appeared, though I don't know when. I'm not extremely worried about the brown chicken as she has had them for a while, but I want to get this cleared up before the next frost, this is there first winter (and these two are my first and only chicken).
-11.jpg

Attachments

• -15.jpg
    -15.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 8
  • -13.jpg
    -13.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9
  • -10.jpg
    -10.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 9
  • -12.jpg
    -12.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10
  • -13.jpg
    -13.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
sorry about the other pics at the bottom, I can't figure out how to get rid of them

Just a guess, but it looks to me like some type of injury from something sharp around your coop or chicken yard. That could be a feeder, waterer, fencing, or another thing in the environment.

Greetings horselove,

Your Buff's wound should have healed by now, and the Brown looks like she is at the beginning of Dry Fowl Pox, a viral infection of the fleshy parts. Take a good look to make sure those dark spots are not pecking injuries.

If it is Fowl Pox, this virus is contagious. So, I am wondering if that is what is affecting the healing of the Buff's beak, as well. There is no cure, but you can treat the symptoms. Also, spray the perches and coop with a bleach water solution. Also wash out the waterers with bleach.

What to do for the chicken?

• I treated my hen's pox lesions with colloidal silver, 1100 ppm. Apply to a band aid and place on the lesions of the comb.
  • Also, apply some colloidal silver to the Buff's beak each day with a Q-tip.
  • Boost their immune systems by adding vitamins to the feed. Vitamins A, D and E are most significant. This will help the chicken fight off the virus.
  • Immune boosting herbal supplements are: echinacea and goldenseal powder, I mix them with Hemp Protein Powder and a sweetener and administer orally with a feeding syringe. But, if the chickens are active and eating/drinking well, they should be OK with just added vitamins.
This virus infection is spread by mosquitoes, so they were probably bitten. There are two forms of the virus: Wet Pox and Dry Pox. The wet pox is usually fatal, it infects the respiratory system. Dry pox attacks the non feathered skin of the comb, wattles and eye areas. Lesions can heal on their own, but I never leave things to chance.

These are my thoughts based on what I see, so I hope they are helpful.

God Bless to you and your girls!:)

After I looked at all of the pics again, it does appear to be fowl pox on the comb in the last picture. Pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes, requires no treatment, and she should redover fine. The beak injuries should heal eventually. I would look around and feel for any sharp edges on feeders.

After I looked at all of the pics again, it does appear to be fowl pox on the comb in the last picture. Pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes, requires no treatment, and she should redover fine. The beak injuries should heal eventually. I would look around and feel for any sharp edges on feeders.
thank you, i believe the injury was from pecking originally, and it seemed to just be a scar until recently

It's a pretty small coop, so if the buff was going to catch it, I think she would've already.

Back
Top Bottom