Black Swedish Ducks

Pete Tracey

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 24, 2014
Langton North Yorkshire England

I have four of these black ducks age 45 days. Are they black swedish?

My wife and I got them from the staff at a retreat she was at, since their mother never came back to them after only a couple of days after they hatched. Perhaps a predator got to her, but I've raised them since 5 days old. The mother hen was Mallard. The dad was Mallard but I think these four black ones were fertilised by another duck. We live here in North Yorkshire England in the country.

My Black Swedish broke her leg earlier in the year. A trip to the vet confirmed it. He offered to pin it but I opted out. Already spent $125 for the x-ray and exam. She was isolated for a month and healed nicely but last week I think she re-broke it (Disco mounting her probably was a contributing factor). So I took her to a neighbor who has a lovely, huge pond and an injured wild Canadian goose. They are getting along great! The Black Swedish (who my neighbor named Fern) swam right up to the wild goose, Patsy. Fern had never been in a pond, only the water troughs at my place and was so excited to be able to swim and not touch bottom. It was so cute! So as this picture shows, they're pals. Hopefully she is healing again since she is able to keep weight off that leg. Another mixed relationship with a good result!
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom