Bleeding out after laying an egg

robin416

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
OK Wes, do I have your attention? I have some friends with multiple breeds of chickens but the Orloffs seem to be the hens having excessive bleeding when laying eggs. One actually bled to death two weeks ago. These birds are all within a 2 year old range.

Got any ideas, have you ever heard of this?

Robin sounds to me like they are really having to strain to get the eggs out and are bursting lots of blood vessels. MY guess is those birds are really over weight and may be caring a lot of extra fat around the oviduct. I would have your friends start feeding black oil sunflower seeds. Also start mixing some veggie oil with their feed. Just enough to moisten everything.

Thanks Wes. I've yet to see their birds, sort of hesitant because I don't think I'd like what I'd see. I know that they are all in cages, I know that he's feeding them a feed that is over 20% plant protein. Trying to get that country boy to change the way he does things with his birds might be impossible. I know that they and other club members have lost a bunch of birds where I've lost none. Makes me think their behinds need to be on this board to learn about care and upkeep.

20% (insert popping eyes emote here)...that is not good...if they are overwiehgt or having these problems should put on a 14-16% protein and a general supplement...shees.

Believe me Diana, I know. He's told me some things that just make me cringe. Like refusing to give them animal protein because someone told him its not good for them. He is building a barn to rehouse all of his flock so they won't be in cages but he'll have to rethink some of his keeping practices before he gets where he wants to be. I had another show exhibitor tell me, this is someone who wouldn't say a bad word about anyone no matter what, that the birds will never amount to anything with the way he keeps him.

Suggested I should take some of his birds and show him how its done. I laughed, like he really thinks I have a clue.

Back
Top Bottom