Suspected Internal Laying

Jul 25, 2022
A blue laced 2-year Bantam Cochin laid 2 fairy eggs before she stopped laying about 4 months ago to molt. Her sister never laid fairy eggs but stopped laying eggs 1 week after. Her sister started laying eggs about 1-month ago. Both regrew their feathers, display red waddles/combs, and sit together in the coop to lay eggs. Only one, however, ends up actually laying an egg. Also, I noticed that the non-layer seems very heavy when picked up. I've read that internal laying can be caused by a bacteria that enters the falopian tubes. Should I assume she's infected? I purchased powered Cephalexin for another hen with a malfunctioning egg gland. I may give her 7 cc every 12 hours if it clears her issue.

Does she have any symptoms like lethargy, not eating/drinking, not active, etc.?

If she has no symptoms, then I would not treat with an antibiotic.

Internal Laying is when an egg or part(s) of an egg have reversed course by Reverse Peristalsis and have dropped into the abdomen. The material that's dropped into the abdomen could cause infection, but often the body will try to absorb what it can and the rest it will try to encapsulate in layers of exudes.

Afik, there's not a cure for any of these reproductive disorders, there's some things that happen that can't be cured or fixed. Often the best you can do is manage symptoms when they arise and if the hen continues to decline and there's no signs of recovery, then putting her out of her misery is a good option.

Peep is still very active. She feels like a led weight when compared to her sister. Also, she spends quite a bit of time in her nesting box. The photos don't show it, but her waddles and comb are bright red.

Attachments

• Sweet & Peep.jpg
    Sweet & Peep.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Peep.jpg
    Peep.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom