Tube shaped egg

eclectic-em

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Idaho
My 2.5 year old specked sussex hen has laid “fairy/fart eggs” maybe twice a year so when it happens I don’t think too much about it.

A couple weeks ago she laid one and and then two days ago she laid a serama sized egg but larger than her usual “fairy/fart eggs” which I thought was odd but the seasons are changing and she’s just starting her molt and most of my girls who are molting have stopped laying.

Today she laid whatever the heck this is. There was some egg white still in it when I picked it up so it wasn’t empty. Not really sure if there is anything I can be doing for her or if it’s just some totally random incidents. They do have layer feed and access to oyster shells.

Please let me know if you’ve seen this or something similar before and what the cause might be. Thank you so much!!

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0402.jpeg

Yeah I mean it’s the same shape but it’s hard shell not soft and much smaller so I’m not sure.

She seems to be acting normal but I didn’t get that much time to monitor them all before they put themselves to bed.

Also not sure if this will cause an infection like what can happen with soft shells that break inside or what to watch out for if so?

It's almost like a core that was expelled, but hard to know. Hens can have some odd things going on at times.

I'd watch her close over the next few days to see if she seems off. I do share your concern about infection since you noted albumen inside the shell.
What I have seen in mine when they had egg material from soft shell break inside was lethargy, holding the tail down, sometimes discharge from the vent (looked like clear egg whites/albumen), just looking like they feel terrible.

Do you have any abx on hand just in case? Amoxicillin would be my first choice to use if medication was necessary.

It's almost like a core that was expelled, but hard to know. Hens can have some odd things going on at times.

I'd watch her close over the next few days to see if she seems off. I do share your concern about infection since you noted albumen inside the shell.
What I have seen in mine when they had egg material from soft shell break inside was lethargy, holding the tail down, sometimes discharge from the vent (looked like clear egg whites/albumen), just looking like they feel terrible.

Do you have any abx on hand just in case? Amoxicillin would be my first choice to use if medication was necessary.
A core?

Yes I will be paying attention. She’s my most adventurous and lively girl so it will be very easy to tell if she’s acting different.

I don’t have any because my vet did not like prescribing any for “food animals”

I'm guessing long skinny egg, got both ends bitten off and any contents eaten.
Where did you find it, was there a wet spot?

As long as she's eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I''d not worry, just keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom