Blind baby chick

Pics

Noelspiker

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
I just got a baby chick from my granny who is 5 days old today. Around 2 days ago the other chicks pecked its eyes out. My granny isn't sure if it ever had eyes because she said it's acted weird since hatching. The eyes are scarred over now. I set it up in a tub and am trying to get the temp to 95 degrees. I put some water in there with a sprinkle of sugar and have tried feeding it a mush of baby chick food and water. I'm unsure on how much and often it should be fed. My granny said it hasn't been eating and drinking well since it hatched. Any advice you have is really appreciated. I plan on calling a vet for more information Tuesday if it makes it pulls through.

I'm going to be honest here, it is not worth the time and effort to try and support a blind chick, it is sad, but the best thing you can do is to put it down.
I read that blind chickens can live pretty normal lives was that not correct? I'm home all day so time isn't a problem for me. If it can live a good life as an adult then I'd really like to try

I just got a baby chick from my granny who is 5 days old today. Around 2 days ago the other chicks pecked its eyes out. My granny isn't sure if it ever had eyes because she said it's acted weird since hatching. The eyes are scarred over now. I set it up in a tub and am trying to get the temp to 95 degrees. I put some water in there with a sprinkle of sugar and have tried feeding it a mush of baby chick food and water. I'm unsure on how much and often it should be fed. My granny said it hasn't been eating and drinking well since it hatched. Any advice you have is really appreciated. I plan on calling a vet for more information Tuesday if it makes it pulls through.
Can you please post photos of the chick and it's eyes.
Good clear, well-lit photos.

Are you for certain the eyes are gone or did the chick just suffer injury and the eyes need tending? Being scarred all over, doesn't mean the eyes are gone.

I read that blind chickens can live pretty normal lives was that not correct? I'm home all day so time isn't a problem for me. If it can live a good life as an adult then I'd really like to try
We have a blind chicken that does very well BUT she was not always blind. She knew how to eat and do chicken things before becoming blind. A chick might be a different story. 😞

Blind chickens can live a pretty normal life especially if you are home with it to make sure that it eats and drinks. Like @Wyorp Rock asked, do you have pics you can post? Clear pics of the chick, the chick's face and it's eyes? There could be chances that there are eyes in there just that the eyelids are scared up and maybe it can't open it's eyes.

I would agree that pictures could help. Blind chickens with intact eyes may see well enough to find food and water in a familiar environment, since totally blind chickens may see light and dark. But if the eyes were punctured and no longer there, it may be best for the chick to be put down. When there are eye injuries, the lids can be very swollen and have crusty drainage. Once the swelling goes down after the eyes are cleaned up, it will be easier to tell if they are still there. Saline eye wash such as Bausch and Lomb (from Walmart or pharmacies in the eye drops) can flushed into the eye, and wiped away with tissues. Then either Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment can be dabbed into each eye 2-3 times a day.
https://media.swansonvitamins.com/images/items/master/BNL004.jpg

Last edited:
Another person on the blog raised a blind chick it would feel for the feeder and waterer with its chest I think it just needs help? But I’m not sure I hope this little one makes it!!

Can you please post photos of the chick and it's eyes.
Good clear, well-lit photos.

Are you for certain the eyes are gone or did the chick just suffer injury and the eyes need tending? Being scarred all over, doesn't mean the eyes are gone.
The other chicks pecked them which caused all the damage so if they are still there I assume they are pretty damaged

Attachments

• 20230529_073901.jpg
    20230529_073901.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230529_073915.jpg
    20230529_073915.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 33
Use the saline eye wash to soften the crusty discharge, and try to get the eyelids open. It is still hard to see anything, but I hope that at least one eye is okay. The eye ointment or neosporin twice a day would then help to keep them from getting crusty. I had a little bantam chick who would not stop pecking her flock mates. After separating her overnight, she then stopped, and was a great chick. But chicks will peck at bright objects, and sadly can cause damage.

Back
Top Bottom