Blind chicks! What do I do?

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
I received an order of Lavender Wyandottes from Greenfire farms yesterday. This is the third order of chicks we've got from them.
I don't know how or why, but the chicks came in very shook up. Already lost 3.

I have two chicks that can't see, and I'm afraid they'll starve in a day or two if I don't find a solution.
One has a damaged eye that it can't see with. The other eye is simply shut.
With the other chick, both eyes are shut.

Is there a way to get them to open their eyes?
I'd appreciate any help!

I would not go through the hassle and pain of watching them starve it is more humane to just cull them and pick some other chicks up at the store. Sorry for the news but I end up having to cull at least 2 chicks per batch.

We have this sort of stuff, to be honest I have no clue what it is, but it's worked on one of my chickens before whom developed an eye infection. We've put it on the chicks' eyes. It turns out there were four that had at least one eye closed, and so far the stuff has cured two of them, but the one with the damaged eye and the one with both eyes shut remain blind.
We've got the one with both eyes shut to open one eye, but it closed it back. Hopefully during the night it will heal enough.
Unfortunately for the one with the damaged eye, it's not getting any better. Poor thing is light and very weak. If it survives until tomorrow and still can't see, we will cull it. But we're still hoping on that eye-stuff since it's been working slowly.

I appreciate your advice, as grim as it is

Back
Top Bottom