Blind doweling!!!???

Amadrop

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
On Tuesday evening, our 6 month old doeling imediately became very lethargic and sickly. We brought her to the vet around noon on Wednesday. The vet said she had an infection and was very dehydrated. They drew blood, took a poop sample, gave her some shots, and gave her some fluids. She was negative for coccidia and negative for any parasite. She was improving but not herself. We’ve been giving her goat nutri-Drench and some other medications the vet has given us. Around 3:00 this afternoon, you could wave your hand on the side of her face and she wouldn’t give any reaction. She trips when she tries to get on her pallet. You could whip your hand almost to smack the side of her face and she won’t give a single reaction. (Of course I don’t actually smack) When you open the door she normally tries to run out or at least follow you, now she is not. Please help!!! I need advice!!! Her name is Brie; she is a purebred Nubian.

Could possibly be the start of polio. Did you vet suggest vitamin shots? Thiamine is what they need if that's what it is. If you catch it early it sometimes is curable. Wait too long and it isn't unfortunately.

Could possibly be the start of polio. Did you vet suggest vitamin shots? Thiamine is what they need if that's what it is. If you catch it early it sometimes is curable. Wait too long and it isn't unfortunately.
I think that is the case…We tried to find it at all our livestock feed stores they said we will have to get it from the vet…We scheduled an appointment tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. Until then, if you have any more advice we will take it. Thank you!!!

I think that is the case…We tried to find it at all our livestock feed stores they said we will have to get it from the vet…We scheduled an appointment tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. Until then, if you have any more advice we will take it. Thank you!!!
I haven't dealt with it personally so I only know what I have read. Not sure if @cassie is familiar with it. If so she may post some advice as well.

Hopefully you can start treatment and your doeling recovers if that's what the vet thinks it could be. Goats can be fragile. Wishing you luck. Nubian are great goats.

I haven't dealt with it personally so I only know what I have read. Not sure if @cassie is familiar with it. If so she may post some advice as well.

Hopefully you can start treatment and your doeling recovers if that's what the vet thinks it could be. Goats can be fragile. Wishing you luck. Nubian are great goats.

Thank you for the encouraging words! Her vision is going in and out. Pray for her appointment tomorrow…hoping for good news.

Hope it's going well.

You would have been to the vet by now but... For future reference, Vit B complex can be used to treat more mild cases of goat polio. I had a buck who got polio and he was able to recover after getting Vit B shots. (Talked with vet over phone when his symptoms started.) It was a few years ago but I think it was 2 CCs twice a day. The good thing is you can't give an overdose because anything the body doesn't use is passed through their urine.

Vit B complex can also come in handy in a variety of other situations, so I suggest all goat owners have it on hand.

With polio, the animal gets uncoordinated and appears blind. They may press their head against the wall. They are not blind but the optic nerve swells. They have a headache which is why they press the walls. I have had them go down and be paralyzed. The cure is large doses of thiamine, B1, which unfortunately is available only with a prescription. However, you can find over-the-counter B1 or a B Complex that contains B1. Although the dosage is low compared to what you need, you can administer them and they may hold you over until you can get the thiamine. Keep in mind you will have to give a LOT. Good luck. I lost some fine animals before I learned what polio was and how to recognize it.

Thank you for all the helpful advice! Her appointment went well. They gave us multiple thiamine injections to give every 8 hours. Her vision is better however, she still bumps into things and some what presses her head on objects. Thanks again!

Thank you for all the helpful advice! Her appointment went well. They gave us multiple thiamine injections to give every 8 hours. Her vision is better however, she still bumps into things and some what presses her head on objects. Thanks again!
It may take some time but she should recover with no problems. Just keep giving the shots.

Back
Top Bottom