bloated duck

JDLandy

Chirping
5 Years
May 13, 2014
My Indian Khaki female is very bloated. It's all fluid - you can feel it. She can not get in or out of the pool, and can't run very fast. Her belly sometimes hangs on the ground, and then it'll get a bit smaller. It's bigger again right now. She doesn't appear to be in bad health otherwise, though her feathers look like she's molting. She hasn't laid an egg since late spring, but she is not egg bound.

My Indian Khaki female is very bloated. It's all fluid - you can feel it. She can not get in or out of the pool, and can't run very fast. Her belly sometimes hangs on the ground, and then it'll get a bit smaller. It's bigger again right now. She doesn't appear to be in bad health otherwise, though her feathers look like she's molting. She hasn't laid an egg since late spring, but she is not egg bound.

I trust that @JDLandy knows the difference between fat and fluid.

She could have heart problems. I think the word for it is ascites - that could help you look it up.

Another possibility is egg yolk peritonitis.

In either case, a good duck vet may be able to help. Ducks can manage through some serious illnesses, so I would not give up on her.

She could have heart problems.  I think the word for it is ascites - that could help you look it up.

Another possibility is egg yolk peritonitis.

In either case, a good duck vet may be able to help.  Ducks can manage through some serious illnesses, so I would not give up on her.

X2

I think egg yolk peritonitis would've caused more issues by now though... Ascites it may well be... it's also called water belly... it's excess fluid in the abdominal area... I've heard of others draining it successfully, but if possible I would consult a vet first...

Thank you all! After reading about water belly, I'm fairly certain that's what is wrong. We have a bird vet not far from us, so I will take her in now that I have an idea of what it might be.

Initially, I did think she was just fat, as I read that that can happen. However, it's definitely fluid, and I had a friend check her out to be sure.
smile.png

Thank you all! After reading about water belly, I'm fairly certain that's what is wrong. We have a bird vet not far from us, so I will take her in now that I have an idea of what it might be.

Initially, I did think she was just fat, as I read that that can happen. However, it's definitely fluid, and I had a friend check her out to be sure.:)

If they give you the choice of draining her, ask if you can watch.

-Kathy

Look up Ascites she may have the beginning. I have a few Runner females that look to have fluid in their low tummy but so far they are doing fine. I have been using dried Greek oregano over their feed as a natural antibiotic and Vit C in their drinking bucket.

Look up Ascites she may have the beginning. I have a few Runner females that look to have fluid in their low tummy but so far they are doing fine. I have been using dried Greek oregano over their feed as a natural antibiotic and Vit C in their drinking bucket.
Thank you, I started putting oregano in the feed and she seems to be doing marginally better. They have Hen Boost in their water on occasion as well. I’ve been wondering if it’s ascites, but I don’t want to get needles and drain her unnecessarily.

Back
Top Bottom