Blood in Loose Stool!

CayugaMama

Songster
May 22, 2020
Austin, TX
Help!!! My two 7-week-old Silkies have loose stool that is containing blood. Could this be Coccidiosis? I read that chicks are usually immune to Coccidiosis around 7-8 weeks of age. Is there anything else that it could be?! Please send any knowledge you have! One of these chicks is my favorite chicken and I will be heartbroken if I lose her! Thank you!!

At this age I would absolutely think it's Coccidiosis.

Go get Corid ASAP and mix 1 1/2 tsp. to 1 gallon of water. Make this the only water available.

As for an oral drench, here is the info for that..
Screenshot_20200802-195349_BackYard Chickens.jpg

ETA: The Corid water will need to be replaced once a day. It is only good for 24 hours once mixed.

Hello!! So just trying to be of help while trying to help my chicken. So here are some things i just found on the web:

How do you treat coccidiosis naturally?
Numerous plant-based products have been found to be effective at treating chicken coccidiosis: Artemisia annua and artemisinin, oregano, garlic, neem, different species of Aloe, green tea, sugar cane, turmeric and many others

What causes coccidiosis in chickens?
Coccidiosis is caused by a microscopic parasite called coccidia that is transmitted via the droppings from infected birds. In other words, anywhere there's a microscopic trace of bird poop—in a waterer, a feeder, or in bedding—there's almost certainly coccidia present.

What are the symptoms of coccidiosis?
Clinical signs include mucus-like or bloody diarrhea, dehydration, anemia, listlessness, ruffled feathers, stunted growth, and death. Coccidiosis is also commonly associated with a drop in egg production.

Can coccidiosis kill chickens?
But, unfamiliar coccidia, high levels of coccidia or other health issues can cause chickens to exhibit signs of coccidiosis, which is a severe coccidia infection that can cause illness and death. When coccidiosis becomes a problem, if is a big problem. It can spread rapidly through a flock and cause death within days.

Will coccidia go away on its own?
It is not uncommon for very young puppies and kittens to contract coccidia, but the infection will usually go away without treatment. However, some animals do not fight it off on their own, and will require a vet's assistance.

How is coccidiosis treated?
The most popular treatment for coccidiosis is Amprolium, which blocks the parasite's ability to uptake and multiply. Treatment is usually administered by adding Amprolium to the chickens' water supply, however in some cases, where sick chickens aren't eating or drinking enough, the medication is given orally.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
(Also, if you have any other chickens/chicks i would isolate the two Silkies so this doesn't spread.)

At this age I would absolutely think it's Coccidiosis.

Go get Corid ASAP and mix 1 1/2 tsp. to 1 gallon of water. Make this the only water available.

As for an oral drench, here is the info for that..
View attachment 2293737

ETA: The Corid water will need to be replaced once a day. It is only good for 24 hours once mixed.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful and I will go grab some Corid STAT!

Hello!! So just trying to be of help while trying to help my chicken. So here are some things i just found on the web:

How do you treat coccidiosis naturally?
Numerous plant-based products have been found to be effective at treating chicken coccidiosis: Artemisia annua and artemisinin, oregano, garlic, neem, different species of Aloe, green tea, sugar cane, turmeric and many others

What causes coccidiosis in chickens?
Coccidiosis is caused by a microscopic parasite called coccidia that is transmitted via the droppings from infected birds. In other words, anywhere there's a microscopic trace of bird poop—in a waterer, a feeder, or in bedding—there's almost certainly coccidia present.

What are the symptoms of coccidiosis?
Clinical signs include mucus-like or bloody diarrhea, dehydration, anemia, listlessness, ruffled feathers, stunted growth, and death. Coccidiosis is also commonly associated with a drop in egg production.

Can coccidiosis kill chickens?
But, unfamiliar coccidia, high levels of coccidia or other health issues can cause chickens to exhibit signs of coccidiosis, which is a severe coccidia infection that can cause illness and death. When coccidiosis becomes a problem, if is a big problem. It can spread rapidly through a flock and cause death within days.

Will coccidia go away on its own?
It is not uncommon for very young puppies and kittens to contract coccidia, but the infection will usually go away without treatment. However, some animals do not fight it off on their own, and will require a vet's assistance.

How is coccidiosis treated?
The most popular treatment for coccidiosis is Amprolium, which blocks the parasite's ability to uptake and multiply. Treatment is usually administered by adding Amprolium to the chickens' water supply, however in some cases, where sick chickens aren't eating or drinking enough, the medication is given orally.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
(Also, if you have any other chickens/chicks i would isolate the two Silkies so this doesn't spread.)
Thank you for all of this!

Back
Top Bottom