Phantom_k9

Songster
Oct 29, 2019
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!
I've noticed a bit of red / pink in in the general poop in the coop. I know it is normal for birds to have some red in their poop, I've seen it before. Just wanted to make sure this isn't anything I should be worried about. The potential bird(s) affected have already been in quarantine just because they have been being picked on, so if it is I already have them separated from the rest of the flock. There is a total of 4 birds who could be the poop owner, two that are 3 months old, one that is 6 months old, and a hen that is 19 months old. The hen just finished her molt, started to lay, and then stopped again. Could be winter making her not want to lay?

All the birds seem to be up and at 'em, eating and drinking fine. None seem to be showing any other symptoms yet, still would like to get ahead if nessesary.

If it is cocci, what do I need to do in order to treat? Not looking for (another) big vet bill, but I'm not going to sit back and "hope for the best" either. Thanks in advance!

IMG-3315.JPG
IMG-3316.JPG

Are you providing some granite poultry grit to aid in digestion? It can be normal for the occasional orangy pink intestinal lining to show up. If you see more, or a chicken appears puffed up, lethargic, are not eating, and have runny droppings, then I would use Corid to treat for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If they are active and alert, and eating well, then watch them. Some vets will do a fecal float on some collected droppings that you can put into a freezer bag and take in. Call to see if yours will do that. Worms also can cause blood in droppings. Treatment for that is Valbazen or fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) which you may find at feed stores or online. Dosage vary.

Are you providing some granite poultry grit to aid in digestion? It can be normal for the occasional orangy pink intestinal lining to show up. If you see more, or a chicken appears puffed up, lethargic, are not eating, and have runny droppings, then I would use Corid to treat for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If they are active and alert, and eating well, then watch them. Some vets will do a fecal float on some collected droppings that you can put into a freezer bag and take in. Call to see if yours will do that. Worms also can cause blood in droppings. Treatment for that is Valbazen or fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) which you may find at feed stores or online. Dosage vary.
I did just give them some granite grit a week ago, so that could explain the red. Generally speaking, they all seem fine so unless they develop any more symptoms I'll just assume its the grit causing this. Thanks for the responce!

Back
Top Bottom