Blood on egg

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
My pullet just started laying these light pinkish eggs two days ago. Both had blood on the outside with a little poo. Is this normal? First egg in pic from today. Second pic is the washed egg from today and the other bloody from a day ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 6
My pullet just started laying these light pinkish eggs two days ago. Both had blood on the outside with a little poo. Is this normal? First egg in pic from today. Second pic is the washed egg from today and the other bloody from a day ago.
I have had a couple of new pullets laying eggs with specks of blood on quite a few times. It hasn’t been anything to worry about from my experience.

Ok the first one I kind of brushed it off because it was her first egg. Then it happened today and got a little worried. Thank you for the reassurance👍

Ok the first one I kind of brushed it off because it was her first egg. Then it happened today and got a little worried. Thank you for the reassurance👍
Same here, I received this advice 😁

When a hen has just begun laying, there can occasionally be a little blood on the egg shell, but it is usually no cause for concern. Eventually her vent gets used to stretching when she lays, and becomes very elastic.
Best wishes!

Ok makes sense😁. The two culprits are a Polish and a EE both on the smaller side.
I had an OE that is the smallest of the group lay today, and there was a small streak of blood on the egg. I figured it was because of the reasons above, but I immediately came here to look for the answer!

I really appreciate all of the expertise on this site. It has really helped me as a new chicken owner,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom