Blood on egg

Velvet Hairpiece

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Louisville, KY
I have been searching through the forums looking for others with this problem, but I keep finding threads about hatching/incubating eggs.

My 5 hens have recently (a few weeks) begun laying consistently again. Several times I've found some blood smeared on the outside eggshell, and didn't really think anything of it, assuming that it was probably due to stretching and otherwise reconditioning their bodies for laying.

Is this something I should be worried about? There was quite a bit of blood on one of the eggs I got this morning, so much so that it got on two of the other eggs in the boxes. The blood seems to be very thin, if it makes a difference.

They will be a year old in April. They were all laying fairly consistently from the beginning of September through November and then it sharply declined during the shorter days- I did not keep a light on them.

I have been searching through the forums looking for others with this problem, but I keep finding threads about hatching/incubating eggs.

My 5 hens have recently (a few weeks) begun laying consistently again. Several times I've found some blood smeared on the outside eggshell, and didn't really think anything of it, assuming that it was probably due to stretching and otherwise reconditioning their bodies for laying.

Is this something I should be worried about? There was quite a bit of blood on one of the eggs I got this morning, so much so that it got on two of the other eggs in the boxes. The blood seems to be very thin, if it makes a difference.

They will be a year old in April. They were all laying fairly consistently from the beginning of September through November and then it sharply declined during the shorter days- I did not keep a light on them.

the blood is pretty much normal for young hens starting out laying,its nothing to panic or worry about.sometimes it happens when they lay a super large egg.

Back
Top Bottom