Blood specks splashed in coop

dee88

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Texas
I noticed quite a few blood splatters/specks in the coop but I can't see a problem with any of the chickens. No blood in their poop or anything (that I can see). They all seem okay (eating, walking around) but there are several blood splatters up on the roost area and some in the nesting boxes, too. It has been very cold, I wonder if this has something to do with it? Also, I noticed my roosters comb is damaged, frost bitten, but I don't see any blood! I did notice an egg a couple of days ago that had a little blood on the end of it. Any ideas?

Last edited:
My bet would be on the injured rooster comb. This week one of my hens got a tiny scratch and you'd think someone got stabbed to death inside the coop. It looked like arterial spray all over the walls, plastic, and a one inch strip the full circumference around the feeder. Their combs really spray when they get nicked.

Last edited:
The previous poster is likely correct.
I just wanted to add that we found blood in a coop with just three hens
a few days ago..scared me to death.
After checking them and finding no wounds, I raked the straw to discover they had killed a small rat.
Good girls
big_smile.png
I did not relaize they would do that..................

I have had both happen. One of my girls had a scratch on her comb. There was blood splattered all over.
Also found a mouse they caught and had some fun with.

I also had splatters on the hen house door next to their roost--it didn't look like a massacre but enough to make me go over each girl with a fine tooth comb! I notice an occasional tiny spot on a comb every now and then and they bleed a lot. They have tons of room, plenty of protein and even an "agility course" they use to relieve boredom but girls will be girls.
pillowfight.gif
Just keep a close eye on them.

BTW Vaseline on their combs and wattles helps prevent frost bite.

I found the same thing in my coop a couple of months ago - looked like a crime scene. I had already let the chickens out and went in the coop to tidy up and found blood spattered on the wall and a good bit on the top roost. It really freaked me out. I checked every chicken for injuries and their butts as well. No sign of blood on any of them and they were all running around normally. I cleaned up and never did figure out what caused it.

I'll check the rooster's comb again, I bet that's it! Poor guy, it looks brownish/black instead of red...I didn't get very, very close. We just have had the rooster for about a month and I've heard stories about roosters attacking. He has been nice because I've stayed out of his way. Should I pick him up to check out his comb? Why would blood be inside of the nesting boxes if it is the rooster's comb? I don't think he ever gets in there.

If it's not the comb, then it's a mystery, but it was quite a bit of blood splatter.

Do you have more then 1 rooster? I had blood splatters in the nest box a few weeks ago. It was a roo fight. The looser went to the nest box to hide. Head down, in the corner....left a bog ole blood smear. His comb had a bite in it. Guess he had enough and gave up so he was hiding. Silly boy.

Just a couple weeks ago I had the same thing blood all over the roost.. checked everyone out and found one of my little hens had some how cut off the end of her nail, I liked to never got it to stop bleeding and couldn't find the quick stop. that makes for lots of blood when they cut off a nail.

Back
Top Bottom