Bloody Bottom and Nest (graphic pics)

you could also take a pair of scissors and trim the feathers around the wound so they dont keep getting stuck in it, and yes more protein is a good idea, mix some tuna in with her feed, she will LOVE it

Here's a thought.

Our pecking issue was prolapse. Back in the days of trying to experiment and be original we tried a feed that was high in milo and not much else (as opposed to a layer crumble). Lower ranking flock members weren't getting the nutrition they needed, and we had a lady prolapse on us - and the flock descended upon her with a vengeance. We seriously thought she was done for. We isolated in the dark for a week - got her to stop laying for a few days, soaks, and we upped the nutrition for the entire flock and the prolapse healed and we haven't had any recurrences. I keep the straw trick in my pocket for boredom pecking and plucking and also have a second pen to give them a change of scenery and get them on green grass every now and again. I learned that my super human friendly outgoing plymouth rocks were not very nice to their chicken friends and someone got a week away to break her tyrannical rule over her buddies. She was also an egg breaker, broke everyone elses eggs, and the week away 'broke' that habit as well. Was probably a protein issue and the diet change helped. We got a new flock queen in the bunch (black australorp... why didn't I try these guys sooner? So easy to handle!) we had just integrated, and she's a kinder gentler ruler. She wants to sit on everyones eggs instead of break them.

We also had a surge in feather lice at the same time as the prolapse in our lower ranking flock member. The more aggressive hens who were getting the good parts of the feed had no lice. We treated the whole flock of course, and again, no recurrence once we got the feed situation straightened out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom