Bloody Chicken Poop, Diahhrea, Poop Chart

If it's got some blood does that mean she picked up Coccidea again? Or does cecal poop have some blood? Too late to dissect as I already pitched it. If she has another questionable poopy I will post it after slicing.
sickbyc.gif

And I have seen this normal looking with the "creamy texture" looking poop. Sometimes 2 or 3 different looks to a single poop.
I call those "the combo". Sometimes a poop will contain both cecal and regular poop. Definitely need some pictures of those, so if you see any, please do post them!

-Kathy

I call those "the combo". Sometimes a poop will contain both cecal and regular poop. Definitely need some pictures of those, so if you see any, please do post them!

-Kathy

Kathy,
Just found 2 this morning. looks like 2 pieces of the same poopie. First time since last post that I have seen anything unusual. What do you think? they have had Corid

2 times since spring. Just finished antibiotics a bout a week ago . I gave them after I thought about who I bought them from...a guy that keeps them very crowded and not very clean. They seem healthy eat and drink well and are quite active for as hot as it's been. Thanks for any input.

NoFowlPlay- I got a chicken from they same type of place... My chicken had mites and Cocciodosis... I did Corid powder- 1.5 teaspoons/gallon for 10 days straight and she is still on Corid powder- 1/3 teaspoon/gallon as it says you can do so for 14-21 days... I also treated with fishmox 250 mg 1/2 capsule 2x per day for 10 days... I also treated with Fembendazole for 3 days and then 2 weeks later another 3 days as well as 2 rounds of praziquantel... When her 10 days of antibiotics were over I am happy to report- No more bloody poops!!! I never thought I'd be so happy to see normal chicken poop, lol.

Have you wormed? Capillary worms can also cause intestinal shedding/bloody poops?

If it was me, I would treat again with the full dose of Corid for 5-7 days and the preventative dose for 14-21 days and treat for worms. BUT I am new at dealing with these issues, just letting you know what has worked for me as I am kind of in the same boat.

When this all started I isolated the infected bird and gave my flock the preventative of Corid for 3 days- but now 2 weeks later they are showing signs of cocci so I put them all on the full dose, 3 days in a different chicken showed signs and so I extended the treatment, today is day 7 so starting tomorrow they will all get 1/3 corid per gallon for at least 14 days and also deworming (started with ivermectin horse paste however after reading conflicting info decided they should all get fembendazole for their 2nd round)

7 days after treatment is done they will all get vitamin boost, electrolytes, and probiotics for a few days

And hopefully that will end this!

I am still wondering though that if the birds that aren't yet affected will end up getting the cocci later until everyone has had it? This seems like it is going to be an ongoing process until it has cycled through everyone!

yes they were wormed with Valbazen, and are not due again till December. Were on Tetracyaline for 2 weeks and have had Corid twice. I hope it is intestinal lining as this is the only example of this type of poop I've seen in a couple weeks at least. I am going to watch and see if there are anymore poops that look bloody. If so I guess I will repeat the Corid. Sigh.

I know how you feel!

But that poop doesn't look healthy... If it were me I would put them back on the Corid full dose for 5-7 days and do the preventative dose as well for at least 2 weeks.

I also found fecal float testing on Amazon for around $25 and am thinking of doing that in case I'm still having issues as the only poultry vet in town charges $75...!

The medicated starter crumbles work well after you have treated. Since I have all sexes and ages free ranging, all get this feed. On the side I have free choice oyster shell, chick sized and regular sized granite grit. Coccidia is a booger to deal with since entire life cycle is within bird. With other parasite problems they live part of cycle in/on bird and part off. Breaking the cycle is easier. BTW other mammals can get coccidia, too. I lost several GP puppies to it when their momma insisted on denning in barn where wild game hens roosted.

Now, later this fall I will switch all off the medicated as all babies will be old enough to be resistant to coccidia. In early spring when hatch starts, back on the medicated. Decoxquinote isn't absorbed through digestive tract.

According to my vet there are different coccid spores and they do not cross species. Don't know if that is vaild. I did read that starter feed should be discontinued after 12 weeks so the body does not outgrow the joints. My young ones are on grower and the older ones on layer. I still have some medicated starter so if I decide to retreat for Coccidia I might mix some of that in the feed. I am still not 100% that poop isn't just shed intestine. So I will be looking at poops over the next couple days. the chicks in question are spunky and eating and drinking well. Thanks for weighing in!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I have my 20 week olds on starter/grower with oyster shells free choice as well. I read grower until 20 weeks, but as I have littles they will just free choice on oyster til the others catch up... I don't have them on medicated though, but read to pour a little of the medicated water in with the feed so they will get more of the medication. My 20 week olds are almost laying so I will report on the quality of their shells using this method. They seem to be growing fine and I have read too much calcium is more dangerous than too much protein...?

Back
Top Bottom