Bloody Eggs that are getting worse

Little Lady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
One of my Rhode Island Red is a little over a year old and has been laying for some time. We have only had her for 4 months. She has laid eggs with blood on them since we got her. We tried catching her and cleaning her vent and putting neosporin on it for 4 or 5 days, but that didn't seem to help. When I went to the vet for my cat I asked her about it. She gave me a prescription for her and I separated her and gave her the prescription and a wormer for 5 days. It didn't help either. Now the amount of blood on the eggs is larger and I don't know what I should do. I believe whatever her problem is, it's getting worse. What should I do? I've considered trying the antibiotic again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Oh I'm so sorry. Wish I had something to offer you. Have you searched this site in regards to this problem. I'll see what I can find. I'm sorry. Good luck.

Is the blood inside the eggs? If so it might be a problem in her reproductive tract. Ive heard that sometimes blood can get stuck in the eggs.

You are talking about blood on the egg shell? Have you really examined her vent, in and around it? What did you see that made you put neosporin on it? The first suggestions on The Poultry Site list for blood stained eggs are prolapsed cloaca, cannibalism and vent picking. I'd also wonder if she has some sort of tumor or something inside her vent that might cause it.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/25/stained-eggs

Since we were new chicken owners, I called my neighbor who is experienced. He examined her and said her vent seemed inflamed and had a slight tear in it. He thought maybe cleaning her up for a week and trying to doctor her this way would help her. It didn't seem to help. Then I tried the antibiotic for 5 days and I think she was better for a while. I'm going to separate her and give her the antibiotic again. I have not noticed the other girls picking on her at all. But that is my concern if she continues to get worse. I let them out for exercise on a regular basis and they seem congenial. Maybe they pick on her when I'm not around but I have not noticed it. I keep a clean coop and try to do what I read on this wonderful website to make my girls healthy and happy. Thanks for your help!

Can you try keeping her in the dark for a few days to stop her laying and let the tear heal? I know that's difficult to do - I'd have trouble, space-wise - but just a suggestion.

I'll try anything! Don't want to lose her. Does it have to be completely dark? I have a large dog crate that I could put her in and put her in our basement. I wonder how long I would need to keep her in the dark?

Not completely dark, but definitely limited daylight. There's another thread on here where a prolapse hen is being kept in a dark room to inhibit laying. I'll try to find it and post the link - I believe there was another link in the thread to a helpful website.

Back
Top Bottom