Bloody head no wound

luckydawn

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 25, 2015
Hudson Valley NY
We have 35 chickens and 6 are roosters. Heard sound from the coop after dark and went to check. All look fine but 1 leghorn with bloody? Head. Took her in and cleaned her off
But I can't really see a source of the problem. Any ideas. Everyone else seems fine. Everything was cleaned and sprayed down in october...

Attachments

• 20220105_175624.jpg
    20220105_175624.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 8
We have 35 chickens and 6 are roosters. Heard sound from the coop after dark and went to check. All look fine but 1 leghorn with bloody? Head. Took her in and cleaned her off
But I can't really see a source of the problem. Any ideas. Everyone else seems fine. Everything was cleaned and sprayed down in october...
In my experience, small nicks and cuts can bleed ALOT! Could she have been pecked around by other members of the flock, resulting in a slight injury?

Look to make sure that he comb is not torn loose from her head. Watch their behavior first thing and for awhile in the morning, to see if they are picking on her. Do you have a rooster? They might have just pecked her to put her in her place, but use caution. I might go ahead and separate her for a day or 2 inside a dog crate with food and water, left in the coop with the others for company. BluKote spray can be helpful to color a red wound blue, and hide it. Or use some Veterycin wound spray or chlorhexidene on it.

Look to make sure that he comb is not torn loose from her head. Watch their behavior first thing and for awhile in the morning, to see if they are picking on her. Do you have a rooster? They might have just pecked her to put her in her place, but use caution. I might go ahead and separate her for a day or 2 inside a dog crate with food and water, left in the coop with the others for company. BluKote spray can be helpful to color a red wound blue, and hide it. Or use some Veterycin wound spray or chlorhexidene on it.
Thanks..I just really can't even know what it was on her head..odd.

Back
Top Bottom