Bloody poops and too thin a shell...

WindyRoost

Songster
May 10, 2020
SW Washington State
I have a mixed flock of 18-wk old hens, at least one of them has started to lay. I found this mess under the roost this morning.
A few are just standing around but the ISA browns and one NovoGen are acting normal, scratching and active.
I know I need to treat, but for what? I put Corid in their water because that’s what I have on hand but beyond that I don’t even know where to start.

The coop/run is a temporary open air coop until we get the main coop finished, so plenty of air flow.
I’d be thankful for any advice or ideas!

As for the laying, we had one Wed, another Thu but none since. The first egg was oblong and double yolked and the second standard shape but tiny, maybe another first egg? This is the only evidence I have of a third egg. The shells on the first two were stout!

I’d be thankful for any advice or ideas!
9923D8AB-535F-4F08-A835-72B519790680.jpeg
ABC02700-1C0A-445F-82FC-5F936DB9FBCF.jpeg
5227F972-27B1-4299-B25D-FFA736FD724A.jpeg

Ok, so for the bloody poop, that may be coccidiosis. This disease can be fatal sometimes in chickens without help. The best things you can do are: monitor your chickens and watch for unusual behaviour (this can help you find out who is sick), have a clean/fresh coop, water and food (I recommend clean your coop ASAP as well as the bloody poops). But, if you really want the chickens to make it through 99.9% and if you really care about them and love them so much, ring the vets and ask for chicken coccidiosis treatment medicine. I had to ring the vets once and get coccidiosis medicine for my chickens once, and they survived (yay:)).They may give you something called "Baycox Poultry" (I think that is how I spell it). Baycox is what they gave me from memory, and my chickens were happy after that. For the egg shells...I'll have to look into that one; I really don't know what happens there. Maybe it's just the bad health of one (or more) of your chickens from coccidi? Hope this helps.:hugs:D

Ok, so for the bloody poop, that may be coccidiosis. This disease can be fatal sometimes in chickens without help. The best things you can do are: monitor your chickens and watch for unusual behaviour (this can help you find out who is sick), have a clean/fresh coop, water and food (I recommend clean your coop ASAP as well as the bloody poops). But, if you really want the chickens to make it through 99.9% and if you really care about them and love them so much, ring the vets and ask for chicken coccidiosis treatment medicine. I had to ring the vets once and get coccidiosis medicine for my chickens once, and they survived (yay:)).They may give you something called "Baycox Poultry" (I think that is how I spell it). Baycox is what they gave me from memory, and my chickens were happy after that. For the egg shells...I'll have to look into that one; I really don't know what happens there. Maybe it's just the bad health of one (or more) of your chickens from coccidi? Hope this helps.:hugs:D
Thank you!! Absolutely, the barred rock is acting like this. I have Corid and added it to their water today. Can I use that or is the Baycox Poultry a better med for treatment of coccidiosis?

Thank you!! Absolutely, the barred rock is acting like this. I have Corid and added it to their water today. Can I use that or is the Baycox Poultry a better med for treatment of coccidiosis?
I believe you can use Corid to treat chickens for coccidiosis. I have surfed around the web and yeah, you can use Corid if you want. But defaintly quarantine that chicken 'isolate' them, as coccidi is very contagious. If the chicken still persists to be sick after about a week or two, maybe then use Baycox, as it is a heavy duty coccidi killer. It works like a dream from about 2-3 days. Good luck!

Hey! Any updates? :D
Hi! Thanks for checking in! All the birds seem to be back to acting themselves, more or less. I must confess, that first night I just kinda dumped the Corid without measuring, so it’s likely they got a swig or two of some extra high dosage water. But I changed that out the next am and they were already looking better. No more gross poops, egg production is regulating and Chicken Mama is happy. Thanks for your help!! :highfive:

Hi! Thanks for checking in! All the birds seem to be back to acting themselves, more or less. I must confess, that first night I just kinda dumped the Corid without measuring, so it’s likely they got a swig or two of some extra high dosage water. But I changed that out the next am and they were already looking better. No more gross poops, egg production is regulating and Chicken Mama is happy. Thanks for your help!! :highfive:
Yay! I am so glad everyone's feeling better! Glad to help anytime.:hugs:celebrate:ya

Back
Top Bottom