Blowing Bubbles

MomsGoneMild

Chirping
7 Years
grrrrreat. one of my 5 week old chicks just blew a bubble out of her nostril. I am reading up on respiratory infections, etc. There seems to be two trains of thought; treat it but always have a sick flock, or cull it and all of them who were exposed to her, and start over.

Also, she has red irritated skin in places around her face. I checked her for mites and lice. nothing. could this be related to her cold?

My instinct is telling me to get rid of them all, disinfect for a few weeks and start over. : / I am already attached, but I am strong enough to do what is best for the birds.

This is a real downer. : (

xoxo Annmarie

Cull the sick 5 week old chick. Keep the others quarantined and wait and see if any of them show symptoms. If they do, cull. If you have other birds, remember biosecurity.

sickbyc.gif
Thanks dawg.

Well, it's done. All of them are gone. It was tough as these were my first chickens. They each came up with bubbles in their noses, and congested chests, sneezing, labored breathing. etc. I feel a little like I failed at it, but I can feel alot better now because my neighbors own 18 African Grey Parrot whom I would never want to compromise. And yesterday one of my other neighbors with two little girls was admiring them and asking all kinds of questions as if he was really considering getting some chicks of his own. I didn't have the heart to tell him about my chicks. What could I do, ask him to hold off on getting chicks for 7 or so years till my birds live their full lives as carriers? The answers kept coming to NO, they have to go. It would have been terribly selfish and foolish of me to keep them. I appreciate your wise words, and your support. THIS SUCK! : (

I am not giving up though. I am going to slow down, and sanitize everything, and wait til this Fall or next Spring. My plan is to order directly from a hatchery that allows small backyard orders, and then close my flock. From what I am reading that is the best way to go. I really wanted to avoid shipping live chicks, though. I guess one or two bumpy nights of travel is better than a lifetime of illness.

Thanks again!

xoxo Annmarie

Back
Top Bottom