Blown up vent on newly hatched chick

Bunbun0412

Songster
Dec 18, 2020
Hi! My very first hatch is taking place right now but the 3rd one to hatch got shrink wrapped and was like that for several hours I am guessing before I helped. But her vent is very very large all the way around and I first want to know if it will go away on its own but if not what can I do for her?

Also, if all three hatched ones were shrink wrapped then what is the chance that the unpipped one is and is just dying in the egg? I don't want to break the egg shell but I really would like to leave today with a 100% hatch rate lol

Hi! My very first hatch is taking place right now but the 3rd one to hatch got shrink wrapped and was like that for several hours I am guessing before I helped. But her vent is very very large all the way around and I first want to know if it will go away on its own but if not what can I do for her?
Photos would help.

But going by that description, I would guess there is nothing you can do to help. Just make sure no other chicks are picking at it, and wait to see if it settles down to a normal size.

Also, if all three hatched ones were shrink wrapped then what is the chance that the unpipped one is and is just dying in the egg? I don't want to break the egg shell but I really would like to leave today with a 100% hatch rate lol
Shrink wrapping is more likely if there is a hole through the shell, and less likely if there is no hole yet. So if the last chick has not pipped yet, it is probably not shrink wrapped.

I do not know the actual % chance of shrink wrapping in specific situations.

Shrink wrapping is more likely if there is a hole through the shell, and less likely if there is no hole yet. So if the last chick has not pipped yet, it is probably not shrink wrapped.

I do not know the actual % chance of shrink wrapping in specific situations.
Okay, that is a relief because she has not pipped yet. I am currently letting the big vent chick rest but while she was trying to stand I think it has gotten smaller but not 100% sure

Back
Top Bottom