blue and "red" wyandottes???

jordan293

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
Las cruces, nm
I picked up some chicks at tsc today and one of the bins said red and blue laced wyandottes and there were red and blue chicks in it. Now to my knowledge there is no red wyandotte only blue laced red so what is this "red" wyandotte tsc is selling i bought a red and 2 blues heres pics

It is simply just a mixup of names. If red comes before blue, it is not necessarily a different breed.

It is simply just a mixup of names. If red comes before blue, it is not necessarily a different breed.
ya i know but they actually had red and blue chicks in the same bin and when i told the employee i wanted some wyandottes he asked me "red or blue?" so i told him 1 red and 2 blues. But im starting to think it was a mix up also and its a rir or something because it has a single comb and my 2 blues dont

Top picture is a RIR or a red sex link. TSC has lots of Red sex Links, and I am sure that almost every location has them. The other is probably a blue laced red Wyandotte.

Wyandottes come in a long list of colors, with more designer colors being created.

Yes, there are blue color Wyandottes. There are also chocolate, buff, buff colombian (had a pair of them...gorgeous), gold laced, silver laced, partridge, black, white, and I don't doubt red on someone's chart. You just generally see GLW and SLW in the feed stores with occasional BLRW. (I'm not solid on my Wyandotte genetics, but you probably need a certain amount of red to add to a blue laced to get a blue laced red...so that may be some of the back stock for BLRW.)

I can't see the top chick's comb...so look at it...if it has the horseshoe comb look as the second chick, that's a rosecomb, and it is probably a color variety of Wyandotte. I've seen some photos of Blue-Laced Red chicks that looked mostly fox colored down, so it is possible it is one of those as well.

LofMc

Feathersite's photos of Wyandottes to admire the abundance of plumage choices
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

Note the Blue Laced Red...and the Gold Laced Blue....they are a feather designer's dream breed.

Last edited:
Wyandottes come in a long list of colors, with more designer colors being created.

Yes, there are blue color Wyandottes. There are also chocolate, buff, buff colombian (had a pair of them...gorgeous), gold laced, silver laced, partridge, black, white, and I don't doubt red on someone's chart. You just generally see GLW and SLW in the feed stores with occasional BLRW. (I'm not solid on my Wyandotte genetics, but you probably need a certain amount of red to add to a blue laced to get a blue laced red...so that may be some of the back stock for BLRW.)

I can't see the top chick's comb...so look at it...if it has the horseshoe comb look as the second chick, that's a rosecomb, and it is probably a color variety of Wyandotte. I've seen some photos of Blue-Laced Red chicks that looked mostly fox colored down, so it is possible it is one of those as well.

LofMc

Feathersite's photos of Wyandottes to admire the abundance of plumage choices
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

Note the Blue Laced Red...and the Gold Laced Blue....they are a feather designer's dream breed.
no its single combed im starting to think its some sort of red i shouldve caught that when i was buying them i already have 3 reds 2 weeks older dont need another

no its single combed im starting to think its some sort of red i shouldve caught that when i was buying them i already have 3 reds 2 weeks older dont need another

That does change things...if it is single combed, while you can get single combed Wyandottes from a hatchery, it is much more likely the feed store mixed up orders and chicks.

You probably have a Red Sex Link, possibly a Production Red, if it is single combed.

Too bad, as the Buff Wyandotte, which can get a foxy red gold, is very pretty.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom