Blue Andalusian thread!

My Blue Andy Hen? 21weeks old and hasn't laid yet. When should she start laying?
She's so pretty! I've been wondering this too. My BA pullets are only 10 weeks, but I can't wait until it's time for them to lay. I have a GLW that's also 10 weeks. How old are you Wyandotte's? Are they laying?

Last edited:
She's so pretty!
I've been wondering this too. My BA pullets are only 10 weeks, but I can't wait until it's time for them to lay. I have a GLW that's also 10 weeks. How old are you Wyandotte's? Are they laying?

My Wyandottes are 21 weeks and 4 days old, neither of them are laying yet. One will "present" and the is about a finger space and a half between the bones by her vent so I'm hoping she'll lay within the next couple weeks.

Lacy, so far so good on integrating my 11-week old Blue Andalusian cockerel with the old BR roo / old flock, thanks to your tips. I put both flocks in parallel runs for the last 2-3 weeks, feeding up against the wire. A few nights ago, I started letting them in together right before bedtime, with supervision. The old flock allowed some pullets up on the roost with them, and a couple even tucked under the old hens like chicks. My young cockerel put himself in his cage last night, and I am moving all the youngsters into cages for the night for the time being. I haven't quite got all my roosts installed yet, but have some temporary subordinate ones that the youngsters are using.

My old roo seems to ignore or think the BA cockerel is a pullet, even though the cockerel is now crowing. The cockerel is very defensive of his flock and will attack the old hens who wander too close. I'm hoping this will reduce over time. He did challenge the big ol' roo with a puffed up approach, and my old roo just looked at him like, "You've got to be kidding." My old roo did break up a fight between an old hen and a new pullet -- cool to see!

So when the BA cockerel matures, will he challenge the old roo to a fight for dominance? Will the old roo try to put him in his place if he tries to mate? Any benefit to separating the BA roo until he gets through randy adolescence? Any chance each will just co-exist with their own flock of hens? Old roo has 6 hens, BA cock would have 9.

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I'm short of experience here. Thanks again for the help.

When he matures, he WILL challenge for dominance. Any rooster will do that. Your older boy may try to put him in his place or he may just let him lead... it depends on the individual bird. Once they are together and doing well, I wouldn't separate them unless one of them is getting beat up badly. It makes re-introduction more difficult and bloodier.

I'm glad its going well for you and sorry for not answering sooner. I haven't been getting on the computer much lately but it's nice to hear things are going well.

My Blue Andy Hen? 21weeks old and hasn't laid yet. When should she start laying?

Her comb is an indication of her timing for laying as well. The Andalusian hen's comb will get larger and flop over to one side. It should happen fairly soon.

My blue andalusian hen is 30 weeks old. She used to have a huge comb, but it seems to have shrunk. Should I be concerned? She has not laid in a while, but I believe it is because of winter and the lack of light. She isn't losing feathers either, so I don't think it's a molt.

My 3 andalusians: Salvia, Lupine and Zinnia. They were the bullies when I first adopted them. Now they seem to have relaxed, but they are at the top of the pecking order. Their combs do shrink considerably during the winter months.

Does anyone else here have trouble with slow growing hackle and sickle fathers in their Ckrls? Both my Minorca and Andalusian roosters never seem to be finished in those two places.

Back
Top Bottom