Blue/Gray Large Fowl Cochin

hangin'witthepeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Colbert, GA
I have a rooster and a hen. This is Elvis, I got him from a friend who had too many roosters.

26741_garden_014.jpg

This is my hen, Sanisa, I hatched from a BYC member.

26741_garden_013.jpg

I was wondering if Sanisa is blue or gray? If I put them together in a breeding pen, would I get a certain color? What color feet to Cochin's have? Elvis has yellow, but Sanisa's are gray. Do these look like a good breeding pair? What should I look for? I'm not showing just want to breed something that will stay close to breed standard. I really like these chickens (looks, not laying ability). They are very shy and Elvis is very good with the hens. He is not pushy, he does the dance and if they lay down he does his "duty". If they raise a ruckus, he doesn't push the issue and goes about his business. I could see where that may not be a good trait in a rooster, but he earns points in my book. Thanks!

He looks like a blue and their feet should be yellow. Our rooster acts the same way doesnt push the issue but after awhile all the hens want to be with him. I dont know what color you would get because we keep all of ours seperated. The cochins are neat to have around they both look good and I wish you luck with them.They aslo lay fairly well at times.jeff

Quote:
Their legs should be dark. The bottoms of a cochin's foot should be yellow, but not the entire foot or leg. They will be a good breeder pair unless you plan on producing show birds.

I would put him in with one gray/blue hen in the above picture. I would only hatch her eggs, a few at the time. I was wondering if I would get blue or if my hen is gray would I get gray and black?

The standard for bantam blue cochins calls for the legs to be "swarthy yellow." Perhaps someone with the APA standard can see if it differs for large fowl blue cochins.

they come in a wide variety of colors. black, blue, splash, white, buff, barred, and partridge are the most common. they also come in gold and silver laced, lemon blue, and probably some others as well they also come in firzzled
tongue.png

From the APA Standard of Perfection:
Blue Cochins -
Shanks and Toes - Male - yellow, bottoms of feet, yellow. Female - Yellow to dusky yellow, bottoms of feet, yellow.

Recognized Large Fowl Varieties.
Black, White, Buff, Partridge, Silver Laced, Golden Laced, Brown, Barred, Blue

Back
Top Bottom