BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
This weeks hatch was all splash. These are the newest babies today at 1 and 2 days old. Notice the dark eyes and dark legs (willow on splash). These guys are from first import stock.

I'm talking to myself here, but that's okay. I'm excited enough to have a whole conversation with myself!

Presenting...

Our very first homebred Blue Isbars! These little ones just hatched this morning, and are doing great. I'm so happy!

It's very unreliable, because Isbars were not fully "completed" as an auto sexing breed, but they sometimes can still exhibit those signs, supposedly. Far left chick has a pale patch of down on its head. (But some females can too, so it's a guess)

My big dream would be to work with the breed on a large scale and finish the true auto sexing component. But that is a big dream :p

Enjoy your babies! :)

hugs.gif
I'm still trying to find hatching eggs this time of year but no luck so far.

Pm me. Our Isbar girls are out laying every other breed we have.

Or you can just visit our site. omegahillsfarm.com

Interested in theories regarding how to go about this. Since they all came from very few birds, just crossing different breeder's birds wouldn't seem to do it. We had good luck with vigor in our first line birds, but others clearly have had other experiences and some serious issues. Darwinism? If only the strong survive and we continue to breed the very small gene pool of only the strongest individuals, is that enough? Is there a viable amount of genetic material to breed forward without carefully selected new blood importation?
Other rare breeds have been saved with fewer birds. The key is getting more breeding groups to work with and work together. We need to take the groups of 1st line birds that still exist and practice a cooperative rotational breeding program. The more we can find, the better. After a few generations of dedicated effort, the genetics of the groups would naturally start to diverge. Adding in very carefully chosen mixed line birds could help with diversification. I wouldn't add a 2nd line bird directly into the 1st line program, but only those that have been bred back to the 1st line for at least 2 generations and compare favorably to the original 1st line birds.

My blue isbar that hatched out at the end of September just laid her first little egg...I have not even set them up to lay yet...They are in the babies house~ LOL. I guess they are not such babies anymore...and it was 20 degrees here! Very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom