Blue Jersey giant?

Horsern

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2023
Hi All,
I wanted to see if there was any chance any of these are a blue Jersey giant. I am thinking my order got messed up at the hatchery but I don’t know if it’s possible any of these black birds will molt later and turn grey/blue. They are 4 weeks old right now. I will also attach a chick photo of them. The one in hand is all black on top side and one of the 4. Thank you!
The feather legged should be a black copper marans. Then there was supposed to be 4 Rhode Island blue and one blue JG. They sent an extra and the the two with brown feathers coming in on their chests appear to be the same. I wonder if those are the RIB and the other 4 who have and do still look the same are some other breed. Possibly black giants but I really don’t have any idea.

Attachments

• 94A4702E-443D-4CDC-A973-F723B1FF5AF4.jpeg
    94A4702E-443D-4CDC-A973-F723B1FF5AF4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • E51A590D-106A-4EE2-BBC3-66779DEDB93A.jpeg
    E51A590D-106A-4EE2-BBC3-66779DEDB93A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • F231DB7D-6B49-48D6-BA0D-46F7B439C27E.jpeg
    F231DB7D-6B49-48D6-BA0D-46F7B439C27E.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 19A1D0AA-05FD-4495-B8D3-822F55FFF690.jpeg
    19A1D0AA-05FD-4495-B8D3-822F55FFF690.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 23
APA standards for Blue and Black JG, things you can see now:

Beak: black, shading to yellow towards tip.

Shanks and toes: nearly black with a tendency towards willow, black preferred (on Blue JG indicates nearly black or dark slaty blue, with tendency towards willow, black preferred).

Eyes: dark brown. On Blue JG indicates eyes are dark brown approaching black.

Size: when full grown, they have the highest standard weight in APA standards at 13 lb for cock/rooster and 10 lbs for Hen. Having raised Black JG myself, from an exhibition line, I’ll add that as chicks they have a different body shape due to their large frame, although they may not look so large (or so different from other breeds in size) the first few weeks, when you pick them up, they have a larger/different frame compared to smaller breeds.

I’ll also add, I’ve not raised Blue JG, however, I’ve raised a few blue versions of other breeds. As I recall, the Blue or splash colors are not black as chicks, so you may have Black JG.

Also, all JG have single combs, should have 6 points.

I’ll also add, I’ve not raised Blue JG, however, I’ve raised a few blue versions of other breeds. As I recall, the Blue or splash colors are not black as chicks, so you may have Black JG.

Also, all JG have single combs, should have 6 points.
Thank you so much for all that info! I really appreciate it. They do all have mostly dark legs but a little willow at toes and the soles. Then there is this odd one out that is colored pretty much the same but has yellow eyes. The other 4 that appear to be the same breed (pos giants) have dark brown to black eyes. I’ll keep watching and see how they develop

Attachments

• 08780461-F8D1-45C5-B7C0-273AD6801E87.jpeg
    08780461-F8D1-45C5-B7C0-273AD6801E87.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 19
Giants are supposed to have yellow bottomed feet- but it looks like RIBs can have yellow, slate... pretty much a mix of foot color.

Agree with @nuthatched that it's too early- but at least you can rule out Marans as it has clean legs.
Thank you! I am wondering if the two other black birds that now have some brown on their chests are the RIB birds. Time will tell!

Hi All,
I wanted to see if there was any chance any of these are a blue Jersey giant. I am thinking my order got messed up at the hatchery but I don’t know if it’s possible any of these black birds will molt later and turn grey/blue. They are 4 weeks old right now. I will also attach a chick photo of them. The one in hand is all black on top side and one of the 4. Thank you!
The feather legged should be a black copper marans. Then there was supposed to be 4 Rhode Island blue and one blue JG. They sent an extra and the the two with brown feathers coming in on their chests appear to be the same. I wonder if those are the RIB and the other 4 who have and do still look the same are some other breed. Possibly black giants but I really don’t have any idea.
It looks to be black jersey giants or maybe australoprs to me, and are they hatchery, show, or heritage type stock, that'll make a large difference to size, how they grow out, coloring, rate of lay, ect.

Back
Top Bottom