Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

well, i'll have to snap some pics of my babies soon, but I hatched out 10 chicks from a BLRW rooster and eggs from 3 blrw hens and then a few other breeds, now that they are about 6 weeks old, its becoming very obvious which are the pure breds and which are the mixes, but for some reason, i have one young rooster, with good lacing and markings but with a single comb. I'm sure he is pure, his markings are spot on, but that single comb is there. And I got a splash, don't know her good her color will be, but it looks like she has a single comb as well. Honestly, I'm breeding for my self, so combs don't matter, but I was curious. Are the rose combs a recessive gene? I thought so, so i thought from birth it would be easy to tell which chick were pure and which were mixed, purely on the comb, all my non BLRWs have single combs. But now i'm not so sure. I'll add some pics later, those little buggers are hard to photograph at this age.

The top two pictures I posted are 2 weeks old, and the bottom ones are 3-5 days old.

this is what my 2 week old Blue BLRW looked like

well, i'll have to snap some pics of my babies soon, but I hatched out 10 chicks from a BLRW rooster and eggs from 3 blrw hens and then a few other breeds, now that they are about 6 weeks old, its becoming very obvious which are the pure breds and which are the mixes, but for some reason, i have one young rooster, with good lacing and markings but with a single comb. I'm sure he is pure, his markings are spot on, but that single comb is there. And I got a splash, don't know her good her color will be, but it looks like she has a single comb as well. Honestly, I'm breeding for my self, so combs don't matter, but I was curious. Are the rose combs a recessive gene? I thought so, so i thought from birth it would be easy to tell which chick were pure and which were mixed, purely on the comb, all my non BLRWs have single combs. But now i'm not so sure. I'll add some pics later, those little buggers are hard to photograph at this age.

that sort of thing can happen, like DMRippy was saying. Rosecomb (R) is the dominant gene, but if you have two parents who are related brother/sister and they both carry a non-rosecomb (r), by pairing them together you increase the odds of getting more single combs. by eliminating the bird who carries the single comb Rr (thru test-mating) you can stop them from popping up in your breeding program. obviously using a single comb bird to breed will increase that characteristic for all future generations, especially if paired for another bird carrying the gene. even your rose combed chicks probably carry the single comb gene recessively (Rr) so they could potentially continue to produce single combs still, and through careful culling you can eventually remove it.

I need to get new pics but the little girl I thought was black-laced is actually feathering out blue! She is starting to look so pretty!

Thought I would post pictures of my chicks. I have 6. They are supposedly 3 weeks old, but I think they seem like they could be a little older. They still have their down on their necks, but their body feathers are starting to fill in, and there is lacing showing on some. There seem to be 3 splash and 3 blue laced red. I am happy with them so far. Yes, that is my Springer Spaniel in the 5th picture down. She wants to be in that run so badly, her natural instincts are very sharp.

Thought I would post pictures of my chicks. I have 6. They are supposedly 3 weeks old, but I think they seem like they could be a little older. They still have their down on their necks, but their body feathers are starting to fill in, and there is lacing showing on some. There seem to be 3 splash and 3 blue laced red. I am happy with them so far. Yes, that is my Springer Spaniel in the 5th picture down. She wants to be in that run so badly, her natural instincts are very sharp.

cuties!
love.gif
it does look like you have some blues, and some splash in there :)

We are preparing for a cull day here, going to remove some of these roosters cause it's just getting to be too much. We are culling 6 cockerels all about 5-6 months old, black and splash BLRWs, and faverolles. I'm going to have 3 blue BLRW cockerels left to grow out! I really cannot tell their type yet, they all look handsome to me.

There is 1 blue BLRW cockerel I am questioning. I am considering including him in the cull because he has a health issue, a pendulous crop. I have been working with him for about 1 week, restricted food because he gorges himself and blows the crop up like a softball. the crop does empty, the first day I massaged it and gave cod liver oil to get everything moving, and it cleared out, but the muscle around the crop has stretched(?) out so that it is very pendulous, all the time. He is skinny, and not really able to eat much to bulk up.

Interested to hear anyone's advice, if I should keep working with him or include him in the cull.. I would still have 2 blue males at that point, who (imho) have better lacing than the male in question.

[/IMG]Updated 'y BLRW at 4 weeks now , wanting to post pics as they grow to see how the colors change and end up looking when grown :)
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom