Blue/lavender Cochin gender?

zagmum

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2017
Clovis, California
I was given this beautiful chick she is probably 3 weeks or so? She is a blue lavender Cochin. Apparently she is the mix of blue Cochin hen and lavender Orpington rooster. At least that's what I was told. I am very excited to see what she looks like matured and I am sure hoping she is indeed pullet...anyone think this gorgeous chick is a girl? Thanks. :)

I think so too. I don't know cochins that well but, the chick is exhibiting a lot of comb at this early age and a bit of wattle already forming.

Blue Cochin, not Lavender, two completely different genes. Definitely a cockerel. The darker male saddle, hackle, and cape feathers will start coming in within another 2 or 3 weeks.

Shoot, I was so hoping for a pullet but had a feeling cockerel. :( the breeder said I could bring back the males I end up with so I am just trying to be sure who is male before I go to his farm to return. also, the breeder said it was a lavender Orpington/blue Cochin mix. Since the blue and lavender genes are different does that mean the chicken picks up one or the other?

I was given this beautiful chick she is probably 3 weeks or so? She is a blue lavender Cochin. Apparently she is the mix of blue Cochin hen and lavender Orpington rooster. At least that's what I was told. I am very excited to see what she looks like matured

There was nothing wrong with the title or description.

Last edited:
Shoot, I was so hoping for a pullet but had a feeling cockerel. :( the breeder said I could bring back the males I end up with so I am just trying to be sure who is male before I go to his farm to return. also, the breeder said it was a lavender Orpington/blue Cochin mix. Since the blue and lavender genes are different does that mean the chicken picks up one or the other?

The lavender gene is a recessive gene in black colored birds that reduces the amount of pigment to the levels that is diluted enough to look "lavender." A chicken needs two sets of the lavender gene for it to work. A blue bird bird is achieved a different way. By combinations of the color gene itself. This is why blue birds don't always breed true. 2 blue birds mated together can have blacks, blue splashed whites, or blues... I know this might be confusing, and I'm sorry that I am probably being confusing... Just know that chicken genetics allow for the bird to be blue or lavender, but not both..

Last edited:
Shoot, I was so hoping for a pullet but had a feeling cockerel.
sad.png
the breeder said I could bring back the males I end up with so I am just trying to be sure who is male before I go to his farm to return. also, the breeder said it was a lavender Orpington/blue Cochin mix. Since the blue and lavender genes are different does that mean the chicken picks up one or the other?
Lavender is recessive. It requires two copies to express. Blue/Splash is dominant, requiring a single copy to produce Blue and two copies to produce Splash. No reputable breeder will breed Lavender into BBS lines. It makes it impossible in future generations to identify which chicks Lavender and which chicks are Splash. It is also possible for such offspring to be both Lavender and Splash at the same time. Such offspring serve no purpose in bettering the breed. Not to mention the problems with feather breakage that plague Lavender lines.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom