Blue legs genetics

glikk

Songster
Oct 31, 2022
Kia ora! This is Huginn, we have no idea what she's a mix of because we inherited her.

My question is, as Huginn has blue legs does that in theory mean she carries a Grey/blue gene?

Mostly ask because we may end up with some chicks from her and the actual Grey hen we have may not be laying anymore so I'm just curious If there's a possibility of Grey mixed chickens

DSCF3248.jpg

DSCF7917.jpg
DSCF5315.jpg

What are you asking? As in chicks with blue feathers or blue legs, or?

Sweet as, she's a bit of a ? Compared to the rest of flock so handy having more info.
She could definitely pass on her blue legs though. Her offspring may also have green or white legs, and there’s even a small chance they could have yellow legs depending on what genes she has and what genes the rooster she’s bred to has. All that white coloring on her is due to the silver gene, which you could also see in her offspring.

She could definitely pass on her blue legs though. Her offspring may also have green or white legs, and there’s even a small chance they could have yellow legs depending on what genes she has and what genes the rooster she’s bred to has. All that white coloring on her is due to the silver gene, which you could also see in her offspring.

The Roos barred mix so I'm expecting the chicks to look mostly like him. He has white legs

What does the silver gene mean if you don't mind explaining, or linking me to a relevant place to find out.

Thank you!

The Roos barred mix so I'm expecting the chicks to look mostly like him. He has white legs

What does the silver gene mean if you don't mind explaining, or linking me to a relevant place to find out.

Thank you!
If the rooster has one copy of the barring gene, about half his chicks will probably look something like him. If he has two copies he will produce all barred offspring, but they could have different patterns and colors with the barring.

Silver is what’s responsible for her white color, it’s a sex-linked gene, with its other counterpart being sex-linked gold. So if you breed her to a rooster who has the gold gene, it’s possible you could get chicks with a similar pattern to her but with gold feathers instead of white. As to her actual pattern, it doesn’t really have a specific name since it’s mixed. However, it does look like it has some partridge influence, so you could call her a mixed silver partridge.

If the rooster has one copy of the barring gene, about half his chicks will probably look something like him. If he has two copies he will produce all barred offspring, but they could have different patterns and colors with the barring.

Silver is what’s responsible for her white color, it’s a sex-linked gene, with its other counterpart being sex-linked gold. So if you breed her to a rooster who has the gold gene, it’s possible you could get chicks with a similar pattern to her but with gold feathers instead of white. As to her actual pattern, it doesn’t really have a specific name since it’s mixed. However, it does look like it has some partridge influence, so you could call her a mixed silver partridge.

Interesting terminology I'll have a read up about it, the whole flock is mixed except maybe 1 hen so it'll be a surprise no matter what. Just intriguing genetics wise.

Thanks for writing that up, super helpful as I try to get my head around things!

Thank you!
Ok, then none of her offspring will have the slate legs.

Back
Top Bottom