Blue Orpington and Black Copper Marans sexing - 12 weeks

DallasCriftins and Donrae,
Thanks a bunch for your thoughts!
Do either of you know anything about the weird black comb and waddle? Is that a common thing with orps? Or some kind of genetic anomaly? Wondering if it will change color or stay like that... Kind of cool!
Hi MyLittleRedCoop, I know it's an old thread, but I was wondering what ever happened with Yellow. The one with the black comb and wattle. I came across a Lavender Orp today that has a black comb and wattle. Did yours ever change colors or did it stay? I'm trying to figure out what mine may have been crossed with. Thank you

Hi MyLittleRedCoop, I know it's an old thread, but I was wondering what ever happened with Yellow. The one with the black comb and wattle. I came across a Lavender Orp today that has a black comb and wattle. Did yours ever change colors or did it stay? I'm trying to figure out what mine may have been crossed with. Thank you

Hi, StephensonC,
I still have her and she's huge! Much bigger overall than my buff orps. And a great layer.
Her comb is still very small/short. It's pinkish on the tips, but the base is still dark grey. Her combs are also short with pinkish red on the lowest dangly parts, but greyish up by where they start. She's in the middle of a molt right now (pretty dramatic, and pathetic looking!) but I'll see if I can get pictures tomorrow. :)
She came from a breeders pure black/blue/splash orp stock. I bought hatching eggs from him to put under a broody. I collected the eggs myself from the breeding pen, so I know she's pure. :)

Hi, StephensonC,
I still have her and she's huge! Much bigger overall than my buff orps. And a great layer.
Her comb is still very small/short. It's pinkish on the tips, but the base is still dark grey. Her combs are also short with pinkish red on the lowest dangly parts, but greyish up by where they start. She's in the middle of a molt right now (pretty dramatic, and pathetic looking!) but I'll see if I can get pictures tomorrow.
smile.png

She came from a breeders pure black/blue/splash orp stock. I bought hatching eggs from him to put under a broody. I collected the eggs myself from the breeding pen, so I know she's pure.
smile.png
Wow....The one I got today is HUGE for her age too. Her comb and wattles are very small and short also and is very dark grey. The couple that I purchased from, guaranteed me that she is a Lavender Orpington, which is why I don't understand the color of the comb and wattles. The feathering and leg color are consistent with Orps. I really don't like unsolved mysteries.....lol, but......I'm stumped..Would love to see pictures of your girl. I will post one tomorrow also.
smile.png

Lol, clearly I should have looked closer before answering. :rolleyes:
Tips are black, base is red/pink. Sorry!!
However, I was just thinking about this over the summer and marveling that she still had black in them, and it looks like she has even less now. The picture of her in the nest box is from about Aug. The face close up is today. I think the black is more visible in the earlier picture.
Wonder if it's a genetic anomaly? It would be interesting to see if specific breeding for the trait would result in a chicken that looks like those all-black ones from India, except with blue/lavender feathering.

Back
Top Bottom