Blue Paint Silkie thread

Wow, so I will actually get spotted chicks from a mating of a solid black painted hen when mates with a buff roaster? The chicks won't just be carriers? So the painted gene is dominant? Cool! Will they solid white with black spots or possible to get solid white with buff spots?

Trying to understand it!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow, so will actually get spotted chicks from a mating of a solid black painted hen when mates with a buff roaster? The chicks won't just be carriers? So the painted gene is dominant?

Trying to understand it!

Thanks!

No . We are not communicating very well . So we are back to my first response . If that hen is solid black you will not get any paint chicks .

Okay, my hen comes from two painted parents, she has a few solid white spots on her feet, but the rest of her body is pure black! So not sure what she is considered? At the very least her offspring will carry the painted gene? So if breed to a painted hen, there offspring should be paints? Black abd white! Right?

Okay, my hen comes from two painted parents, she has a few solid white spots on her feet, but the rest of her body is pure black! So not sure what she is considered? At the very least her offspring will carry the painted gene? So if breed to a painted hen, there offspring should be paints? Black abd white! Right?

She does not carry the paint gene . She would not be black if she did . Not sure you understand what dominant is . A dominant trait is seen if present . So you have a black hen . Nothing more .

Um, do you breed painted silkies? I am pretty sure within the breeding of paints, you will get solid white or black paints that carry the gene and a percentage of the chicks will be solid white with black spots. That is what every paint breeder has told me.

Um, do you breed painted silkies? I am pretty sure within the breeding of paints, you will get solid white or black paints that carry the gene and a percentage of the chicks will be solid white with black spots. That is what every paint breeder has told me.
I give up . Post pics of the chicks when they hatch . Maybe I can learn something .

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! If anyone else has breeding experience with painted silkies please share your knowledge! I am not quite getting how the paint genetics work!

I think I am starting to get it, so if I want painted silkies I could hypothetically breed their black son to a painted hen, white with black spots and then get 50% painted chicks?

Okay, great! I have a black and white chick that I hatched from shipped eggs, so in a few months I will know it's sex and take it from there!

Thanks a bunch!!!

Back
Top Bottom