Blue Paint Silkie thread

to me blue paint would be color i would cull if im breeding for paints

Paint is with a white background. Here is a pic off the feathersite of a splash and paint side by side. Now just replace the black on that paint with blue and that is a blue paint. This boys mom was a black hen and his dad was a paint rooster.

Most people would have culled paints too.
wink.png
I'm very glad there were a few breeders who did not look at them as culls because they are absolutely gorgeous. It's personal preference I guess, but I'm not going to cull them.

Lets see if I can figure out how to show my splash paint...out of the blue, one of my white boys decided to throw me a surprise party...a couple of blue feathers hidden all over, one feather is lighter than the others so that's why I called him a splash paint...this is the lightest feather, the others are a dark blue.

Last edited:
I am interested in the genetics of this paint color.It seems they are dominate white x black.However I have also read in Europe they were created by crossing exchanger leghorn on silkie.I read that exchanger is due to the recessive pied gene.Which would breed true.I read in other places on the breeding of this color that lead me to believe it could be the dominate erminette gene.Three different genes that produce similar results.So I guess my question should be which genes are involved ?

I've been looking into the blue paint and was directed here. I purchased a paint cockerel last year and when he arrived I thought that his spots looked blue and not black. So of course I waited till he molted a few times hoping he would grow in black spots but never did. I didn't know there where blue paints till now. He has won in the shows I put him in all first place till the last show. There was a paint with black spots in the cage next to mine and that one got first place. Although my fella looked alot better than the other one and the owner was even going to dispute the decision till I explained that his has black spots where mine has blue. Neither he or I knew there was a blue splash. Anyway. that is the least of my worries because he refuses to breed. He has no interest at all in hens (or roos) and he is a year old. All my cockerels are practicing breeding at 5 months old. This guy can have a hen crawl under him and he will walk away and look at her like she's crazy. Now that I know there is suck a thing as a blue paint I will keep him. I did have him up for sale. He has white feathers and blue spots. The pics below aren't very good and don't really show how spectacular he really is. It's hard to take a good pic of a chicken. It seems they never stop moving. These are last years pics. I really need to get a recent one. He was still a cockerel in this pics.

When he does show interest in breeding, what color hen should I put him with to continue the blue paint?

Could this chick be a blue paint? It was as white as can be then it started to get random blue feathers.

Those pics are about a week old and the chick is about 2.5 weeks old in them. Its getting more blue as it feathers out.

Back
Top Bottom