BO walking with butt tilted down

Hi everyone, for about a week now I have noticed that my 3 year old BO hen has been walking differently- with her butt sort of tilted downward- almost looks like her bottom is too heavy to lift. I cleaned poop from her butt (she had a lot of it hardened and stuck) and her vent looked normal when I was done. Below is a video, not great but you can kind of see what I mean- her bottom half just looks like it's almost heavy for her to carry. She has been eating, drinking and behaving normally otherwise.

She has not been laying lately but she was not much even before her posture changed.

Have you inserted a clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg? She either is egg bound, or more likely is suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, or ascites (water belly.) Since she has been like this for a week, it is probably not egg binding. You could try giving her a human calcium with vitamin D3 tablet to increase muscle contractions, to lay an egg. What does her poop look like? Pictures are helpful sometimes.

Have you inserted a clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg? She either is egg bound, or more likely is suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, or ascites (water belly.) Since she has been like this for a week, it is probably not egg binding. You could try giving her a human calcium with vitamin D3 tablet to increase muscle contractions, to lay an egg. What does her poop look like? Pictures are helpful sometimes.
Thank you for the reply. I have not noticed any strange poops- maybe some darker diarrhea type ones on the coop floor in the morning but I'm not sure who they are from. I will observe that more closely tomorrow. Should I do anything immediately tonight? I cleaned the stuck poops out about an hour ago. Other than the calcium supplement, is there anything else? Do you agree that she seems to be walking uncomfortably in the video?

Thank you again!

I agree, from the distance it appears that she has some bloating in her abdomen. Feel that and compare with others, below the vent, between the legs. If it's a reproductive problem, then often those are hard to know which one with certainty, until necropsy, symptoms can be similar.

I agree, from the distance it appears that she has some bloating in her abdomen. Feel that and compare with others, below the vent, between the legs. If it's a reproductive problem, then often those are hard to know which one with certainty, until necropsy, symptoms can be similar.
If it's abdomen bloating or a reproductive issue, is there anything I can do to help her? Is whatever this is treatable? I feel terrible..I noticed this five days ago but I didn't act on it because it didn't seem as bad as when my RSL hen was eggbound (the RSL survived after a hot bath and some massaging) This hen is still moving and active though...any advice or help would be appreciated!

Most reproductive issues are not treatable. If it's infection, then sometimes antibiotics may buy them some time, but it will generally either recur or continue to progress. I would try the calcium suggested, see if that helps at all. It's really hard to say what exactly it might be. Sometimes imaging by a veterinarian can help identify the issue, it just depends on what it is. Some hens will live for a fair amount of time, it can progress slowly. Other times, they may pass much quicker. I generally leave them be as long as they are eating, drinking, behaving like a normal chicken, albeit a bit slower. If she stops eating or drinking, isolates herself, or gets attacked by flock mates, then it's time to consider not letting her suffer.

Have you inserted a clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg? She either is egg bound, or more likely is suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, or ascites (water belly.) Since she has been like this for a week, it is probably not egg binding. You could try giving her a human calcium with vitamin D3 tablet to increase muscle contractions, to lay an egg. What does her poop look like? Pictures are helpful sometimes

Most reproductive issues are not treatable. If it's infection, then sometimes antibiotics may buy them some time, but it will generally either recur or continue to progress. I would try the calcium suggested, see if that helps at all. It's really hard to say what exactly it might be. Sometimes imaging by a veterinarian can help identify the issue, it just depends on what it is. Some hens will live for a fair amount of time, it can progress slowly. Other times, they may pass much quicker. I generally leave them be as long as they are eating, drinking, behaving like a normal chicken, albeit a bit slower. If she stops eating or drinking, isolates herself, or gets attacked by flock mates, then it's time to consider not letting her suffer.
Thank you. Will add calcium today. This morning she seems to be walking better and also, the large mass I felt last night seems to have gone down almost. Or atleast does not feel prominent like it did. Her behind feels similar to the other hens now. Are there any conditions that worsen during the day and then dissipate with rest/sleep? I've had hens for 3 years but have never had any issues like this so I'm relatively new to it and thus, unsure of myself. Thanks for your input!

It's hard to say, she could be having trouble passing a large or malformed egg, or it could be infection, which can make them feel like they need to lay, but cannot. Continue the calcium, see if she's able to pass anything.

I would repeat the calcium once a day in case she is straining to lay an egg. There could be lash egg material stuck or constipation, hard to know. Encourage drinking fluids. Mixing water with a small bowl of chicken feed would be good.

Back
Top Bottom