Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. It is the closest I can get to being artistic. The question was asked....why show? Shows are an art gallery of breeders accomplishments. There are many reasons why people show birds or anything else for that matter. When people see good examples of chickens, there is usually new interest created. Much like you experienced yourself when you saw a heritage show type Barred Rock for the first time. They are usually quite different birds than the average people sees. I know that for me showing has increased my knowledge of poultry and I find it relaxing, interesting, scientific and overall a hobby with many dimensions. I have two hobbies and they are both demanding and they overlap for only about one month out of the year. The chickens are all year, but the intense part for me is Oct-March during our show season here in the west. The results of a years work takes some time to see and is judged by subjective humans, the other hobby.....the competitive part anyway takes about 11-12 seconds and is decided by GPS and timing lights, so it is not subjective at all and the results are in in seconds. These two hobbies have served me well through the years and take c
are of a lot of potential problems as idle hands are the devils workshop....................lol

Walt
Yes, chicken raising and showing is very addictive. There is no better feeling when you look at your chickens and say, "I have reared and taken care of them, and they are healthy and (maybe) show-worthy." It feels like you've done a real something in your life, and it feels GREAT!

I wish your sentiments could better provide for those of us who do wish to learn. Finding the information or, better yet, earning an understudy relationship with someone who does know, is a tough thing to do. Its funny to have hard work and job not be related. I don't know that most of the young folks you are thinking of would even consider that something fun could be work. Or that work could be fun. I say this completely aware of how much I miss my job :) now that I stay home to work with chickens and have fun raising a baby! (or is it have fun raising chickens and work raising a baby...?)

You know Mr Walt, you might surprise yourself with an airgun.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at?
big_smile.png

If you cull a suspect bird then how do they ever get to a stage where they develop immunity? Immunity comes at the price of exposure and often survival. If they can't survive the axe they can't survive the 'illness' to develop anything. I am not saying I disagree with your sentiments or methods only that practice would seem to negate, or in the least, hamper, the theory. I wonder if the practice of growing out immunity will work for all things including respiratory issues and all that? Nature would suggest so but I wonder if its a risk I want to take with my birds here and now. Food for thought.

Mr Walt, when you say a bird is 'rangey' what does that mean spelled out? I recall you worked with ducks and chickens? Geese or Turkeys ever? I never see turkeys at shows or fairs.
How are all you folks transporting yourselves and birds to shows across the states? I was picturing the birds in a camper with you but that didn't seem right. On the back seat of a car? Remind me again; the benefit of this showing is? Other than saying you have purdy birds of course. Just fun?

Ashandvine,

I could be totally out of my element here, not being an immunologist, but if one bird in a flock has symptoms, chances are all or most of the birds have been exposed. Just because one is exposed, doesn't mean one is symptomatic. They may have an immunity, either hatched with it per Bentley's earlier post, or developed through previous exposure. Not sure what acquisition of immunity is like in fowl, but mammals can acquire immunity through mother's milk and exposure to weak or dead viruses (depending).

I have heard the tale that turkeys carry a weak strain of Mareks to which they are immune and if their litter is scattered in chicken brooders, it will help confer resistance on chicks. (This is part of the joy of being an "expert" here on BYC - passing on rumor and hearsay as if it were fact.) However, I have found no documentation in respected literature that advocates this practice. I would think if it were true, the commercial operations would be lining up to buy used litter from the turkey ranchers. Don't see folks in my neck of the woods lining up to do that.

So, it is entirely possible, that Walt has resistant individuals that show no symptoms and the ones that do get sick need to be culled as they will get picked on by the healthy chickens any way.

However, I do believe your question has merit. Just not sure it's worth the trouble. Just wondering.

I am working on a red white and blue floating fishing lure. So far they like the white body and red head look.

I am going to make a pen the first of the year which will be red white and blue. Its like the ameican flag. A chicken this color I dont know if I have seen one.

Love all you experts out there. If you are over one year and still doing this stuff you are all right. Five years Wow. Then the Ten year people thats a mile stone. The people over 20 years we are sick.

Got to love it howver, now I am going to blow my noise one more time and get the fine saw dust out and read my poutlry press.

You all have a great night.

Edit: I just got a personel message. Where can we get Silver Spangled Hamburds Heritage Quality. Any tips?

Richard Timm Nicollet MN he has nice ones I think they may be original Tommy Stanley strain. Very nice rosecombs on them too.
Charlie

Once you have flock resistance to Mareks you stop having horrible Mareks years. I stopped vaccinating for it 35 years ago.

Walt
I don't vaccinate for it, either. I had heard, though, that in the Midwest, it was "stronger" (?) this year than ever before due to the very dry summer we had. I pay little attention to details, since I don't vaccinate for it, though. We also had odd things in the Midwest due to the weather in the wild mammal population - example: something about a disease the deer had this past summer that caused them to literally die of dehydration - it was caused (I believe) by a parasite that thrives in dry climates being so numerous - hundreds of dead deer were found right beside watering holes.

Not that any of us think you fake any of the beautiful poultry you show!

You would be surprised, but some idiots try that. I have found all kinds of crazy things people have used to alter a bird. Yellow highlighter on the legs....come on! That doesn't exactly look natural. The British have a hard hard bound book called "The art of faking exhibition poultry". It would be easier to fake money than fake iridescence.

Walt

You would be surprised, but some idiots try that. I have found all kinds of crazy things people have used to alter a bird. Yellow highlighter on the legs....come on! That doesn't exactly look natural. The British have a hard hard bound book called "The art of faking exhibition poultry". It would be easier to fake money than fake iridescence.

Walt
Walt, have you ever came accross a comb with a sprig shaved off.?

I don't vaccinate for it, either. I had heard, though, that in the Midwest, it was "stronger" (?) this year than ever before due to the very dry summer we had. I pay little attention to details, since I don't vaccinate for it, though. We also had odd things in the Midwest due to the weather in the wild mammal population - example: something about a disease the deer had this past summer that caused them to literally die of dehydration - it was caused (I believe) by a parasite that thrives in dry climates being so numerous - hundreds of dead deer were found right beside watering holes.

There is no doubt in my mind that different areas have different disease challenges. We are blessed here in norcal, we don't have the same poultry health challenges that some parts of the country have.. I am a Calif poultry health inspector and I very seldom find anything other than Corysa. Our biggest worry is END. Exotic Newcastle Disease..usually brought into Cali from the illegal smuggling of hookbills.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom