Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
THanks BOb, as always you give me lots to think about. My family is from Maine so I do know the climate there is colder, though the coastal area is more foggy and damp. Here the prevailing weather has been rainier than usual at the start of this winter, and last summer was far warmer than the past years.

How do RIR hold up to the endless rain? OR does it depend on the line? IS the feathering a little different between lines to cope with the local weather?? Earlier there were pics of Orps with tighter feathering about the legs, pantaloons being the more usual fashion--how does this difference effect a birds survivability?
Here is an interesting old article I recently found on the subject.
Best,
Karen
----------------------------------------
Poultry world - Volumes 15-16 - 1886
Pages 164 and 165

Acclimation of Fowls.
Mr. E. W. S., of Charleston, 8. C, writes: "lam a reader of The Poultry World, but never have purchased fowls from the north, as I have always heard, and it is the general opinion here, I believe, that fowls brought from northern localities cannot stand our climate. Is there any means of acclimating fowls; if so, can you refer me to some means of so doing?"

It is undoubtedly true that fowls require acclimation, when removed from a cold to a warm climate or vice versa, and we can easily understand that if the removal is unseasonable that trouble and loss might ensue. Yet it is perfectly easy to satisfy any one that the difficulties are greatly exaggerated, and that the loss need be extremely small or reduced to a point where it absolutely ceases. We are constantly importing into this country fowls from abroad, England, France and Italy, and little or no loss results therefrom. Their systems may receive a greater or less shock according to the difference in the climate of their native and their adopted homes, but the shock does not prevent them from breeding successfully. In some cases it certainly stimulates the reproductive organs, and the fowls for a few generations lay more eggs in their adopted than they did in their native home.
If our southern brethren desire to purchase fowls from northern breeders they should not hesitate to do so. The best time is in the autumn months, and the fowls removed from a colder to a warmer climate are, or ought to be, grateful for the change. By the time that summer with its excessive heat arrives they have become somewhat accustomed to the new climate and very little trouble need be apprehended. Even the heavily-feathered Asiatics do well in the south.
We shou'd not advise the purchase of birds north in the months of June and July, for they would doubtless suffer somewhat from the longer-continued and more excessive heat of the south. This would have a debilitating effect and render them much more subject to attacks of disease and less able to successfully withstand them. But if they are purchased at any time from September to January we think that they will do well. The "general opinion" to the contrary may be a mere prejudice or it may be founded upon a few cases of unseasonable introduction of fowls, but we seriously question whether it has any substantial reason for existing. At any rate, we do not hesitate to advise our querist to purchase such fowls as he may desire of northern breeders.
===========================================

Last edited:
These chicks are nearly a week old. There were some yellow chicks in the bunch as well, but these were overwhelmingly the majority. Usually they feather in completely normal without any issue of this gray. If they do have gray it is only on the very tip of the primaries. It doesn't usually extend into the rest of the wing or body.

I had some Lavender Ameraucanas that hatched with chipmunk stripes..... they feathered in at first grey on the wings like a lavender and now they are SOLID white.

Hi,
Know we are looking to reserve the knowledge of the old breeders. Just a thought, has anyone contacted the families of deceased breeders to see if they kept their lit?
Years ago, I contacted the family of a deceased dog breeder whose methods I really admired. I was hoping she had left some her numerous self-published lit with the family. Reached the family the day before the archive was being taken to the dump. Made a mad midnight dash across 2 States and rescued a 60 document file box archive. The genetic history of the kennel.
Point was, many families are proud of their ancestors achievements and are more than willing to pass on the lit, records, etc. If they just knew where to send them and/or found someone they knew would respect them.
I am 61 now and only have been in poultry only a few years. Will never be anything but a beginner in the eyes of the veteran breeders. I read a lot of these old magazines and see ads for top winning poultry of these Heritage breeds we discuss.And I wonder... if the family has a treasure trove they are keeping and would be willing to part with if they just knew who wanted it and would respect it.
Food for thought,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi,
Know we are looking to reserve the knowledge of the old breeders. Just a thought, has anyone contacted the families of deceased breeders to see if they kept their lit?
Years ago, I contacted the family of a deceased dog breeder whose methods I really admired. I was hoping she had left some her numerous self-published lit with the family. Reached the family the day before the archive was being taken to the dump. Made a mad midnight dash across 2 States and rescued a 60 document file box archive. The genetic history of the kennel.
Point was, many families are proud of their ancestors achievements and are more than willing to pass on the lit, records, etc. If they just knew where to send them and/or found someone they knew would respect them.
I am 61 now and only have been in poultry only a few years. Will never be anything but a beginner in the eyes of the veteran breeders. I read a lot of these old magazines and see ads for top winning poultry of these Heritage breeds we discuss.And I wonder... if the family has a treasure trove they are keeping and would be willing to part with if they just knew who wanted it and would respect it.
Food for thought,
Karen

I would LOVE to see these documents HERE!

Hate to say it to you....but if englands climate is like NS they do not need it. We get have humid air because we live not far from the bay... Take a look at the Chantecler that was devloped to stand Canada's climate (more so quebec region) and it is not this Huge fluffly bird. It is a relitivly tight feather bird.

I envy the people out west... Because they have DRY snow. We have really damp and heavy snow.... That's fun to shovel
=========================================================================================================
I agree with call ducks. The Sussex is an English breed. It is soft-feathered but also close feathered ( Per the Standard, more so than the Orpington). Broomhead says the feathers should be close-feathered enough that they do not move out of position with every little puff of breeze that blows against them in the direction opposite the way the feathers lay. Personally, I think soft-feather / close-feathered birds do better in the damp/cold than soft-feather / loose-feathered breeds. Would like to read the veteran breeders take on this question.
Best,
Karen

I would LOVE to see these documents HERE!
Ralph H. Sturgeon Papers: American Poultry Historical Society Papers

-------------------------------
Wow, Kathy! So would I ! I know that we can order lit from NAL thru interlibrary loan by our local linbrarian. I don't know think that works for Special Collections, . I suspect one has to go onsite to NAL and view it there. Another thing one can do is check with their local State Historical Society and State Archive. It is not unknown for breeders to also archive identical papers in the State Archive in which they lived. What State was this breeder from?
Karen
------------------------------------------
Here's an old published address I found for this breeder. Maybe the old local paper has something about him and his birds.
Ralph H Sturgeon, 2464 Rd 308. Bellevue, OH 44811° PH: 419-483-5480 s 840,

Last edited:
Quote:
There are other collections there that I would love to see also.
James M. Gwin Poultry Collection HERE.

John Louis Skinner Collection:
American Poultry Historical Society Papers HERE.

Robert L. Hogue Papers:
American Poultry Historical Society Papers HERE.

and others, too! Would make a nice vacation there!

HERE are numerous collections to look through!

Last edited:
How 'bout those New Hampshires back then?!
wink.png

The Chicken of Tomorrow (1948) Part 2

Here is part 1......... about the contest, "Chicken of tomorrow."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom