Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy I go to the feed store and you guys have been busy. If you have a home made mix with different additives that would be great but here is the question for the poor little novice beginner. How much does he or she have to buy or order to get this super duper feed?
Well I get all my feed and grain at a feed mill and not a feed store so I am able to get my grain and feed as far as that goes by the pound, 50 lb bag, 100 lb bag, 1/2 ton or the ton and they custom mix as little as 500 pounds.
My breeder mix for my Reds consists of a 19% game bird feed with Animal Proteins, 32% protein floating fish pellet that also has Animal Proteins, and a custom 18% protein grain mix. Everything is in stock and I don't have to order anything.

The 18% Grain Mix is,
Corn
49% Soy Bean Meal (49% SBM)
Whole Roasted Soy Bean (WRSB)
Oats
Beat Pulp (with molasses)
Molasses
Dicalcium Phosphate
Trace Mineral Salt (one with added copper)
Vitamin A D E
Magnesium Oxide

Now if one of the, "poor little novice beginner" that your talking about wants to try a good semi-custom mix and they buy there feed at feed store like TSC they could try this mix.
50# Flock Raiser
50# Floating Fish Pellet (one that is 32% protein and has animal proteins)
50# Oats (soak at least overnight but 3 days is better and mixed in when you go to feed)

Chris

I endorse HovaBators. One most important reason is that they are made in the USA. That is important to me. I like their product, as well. Hovabotor Genesis is my favorite hatcher.

Brinsea - of course, not made in the USA. I don't like their customer service and I don't like their incubators.

Bob is right on the money.

Maybe folks cannot get their desires filled from one of the master breeders. However, some of us, right here on BYC, have been blessed to receive that very stock you need/want over the last year or two. New folks will find us quite willing to help. Yes, while many folks don't like to ship eggs, others will. I certainly will because the cost of shipping more mature birds is prohibitively expensive for most people. As Bob said, reach out via PM and ask. It's that simple. Don't build up a straw man in your mind that all the folks with good birds are plotting against you, somehow. LOL Anyhow, we're going to use this method, which is similar enough to Yard Full O' Rocks' style.

http://www.skylinepoultry.com/Packing___shipping_eggs.html

We've been blessed and quite willing to be a blessing. Paying it forward. If you are sent 16 eggs and 11 of them hatch? That's a pretty darn good way to start to my thinking.

I endorse HovaBators. One most important reason is that they are made in the USA. That is important to me. I like their product, as well. Hovabotor Genesis is my favorite hatcher.

Brinsea - of course, not made in the USA. I don't like their customer service and I don't like their incubators.

But they HATCH, Kathy! See if you can convince Hovabator to come up with a system to improve their humidity control and I am 100% on board.
idunno.gif

I'm still waiting to hear how those Emus are doing ....
big_smile.png

I agree!!!

Chris

Walt they are eager to learn. Sometimes its like steer wrestling trying to get them to focus on the real point of this tread and not get off topic or subject. It happens all the time but that is what makes this thread a educational tread for beginners.

Now in Scott's case we have to share these Colombians to anyone who wants to breed and raise them. It took nearly four years to get them from Canada to the USA. This is a very rare breed who needs help. Yet the others such as Partridge and Silver Pencil led are of need of help to. These are not the best Plymouth Rocks in the USA compared to Whites but a Cave Man can breed a white bird. Heck I have been doing it for 20 years. But to take on a breed like Scott as a Rookie is something else. He has learned so much and his methods of Poultry Husbandry is much to learn from.

If you get eggs shipped from him you can then try to do the same one day your self. Heck he sent some to Alaska to a lady and she got above average hatch.

Keep it coming. We need to get ready for the spring and hatching and rearing these rare breeds of Standard Breed Chickens.

But they HATCH, Kathy! See if you can convince Hovabator to come up with a system to improve their humidity control and I am 100% on board.
idunno.gif

I'm still waiting to hear how those Emus are doing ....
big_smile.png
My Hova-bator hatches eggs just fine.
I look at like this I bought a product made in the U.S.A., I can set twice as many eggs, and I payed less.

Chris

Walt they are eager to learn. Sometimes its like steer wrestling trying to get them to focus on the real point of this tread and not get off topic or subject. It happens all the time but that is what makes this thread a educational tread for beginners.

Now in Scott's case we have to share these Colombians to anyone who wants to breed and raise them. It took nearly four years to get them from Canada to the USA. This is a very rare breed who needs help. Yet the others such as Partridge and Silver Pencil led are of need of help to. These are not the best Plymouth Rocks in the USA compared to Whites but a Cave Man can breed a white bird. Heck I have been doing it for 20 years. But to take on a breed like Scott as a Rookie is something else. He has learned so much and his methods of Poultry Husbandry is much to learn from.

If you get eggs shipped from him you can then try to do the same one day your self. Heck he sent some to Alaska to a lady and she got above average hatch.

Keep it coming. We need to get ready for the spring and hatching and rearing these rare breeds of Standard Breed Chickens.

Well we all get a little off track at times, but when I am chided by someone with 10 posts for doing it, I get a little cranky. I was sidetracked a while back so didn't get a chance to post this. It is VERY unusual for a judge to pick a Canadian goose for anything, but when they do, they probably know them very well. Most judges are afraid to put up a mallard, wood duck, or Honker because they don't know them well and don't want to take a chance.....but mostly cuz they all look the same to the judge. Pigeons all look the same to me, but these wild waterfowl don't. There are huge differences in color and body type when you get to really know them. I win a fair amount with my Mallards and it is only because the judges know Mallards or they have never seen one with a 4" bill and a body that looks like a rocket ship. The ones you normally see are fat, miscolored and ugly in general.

The moral of the story is ...and I know you know this...........you never know what is going to beat you in a show. lol

Walt

Maybe folks cannot get their desires filled from one of the master breeders. However, some of us, right here on BYC, have been blessed to receive that very stock you need/want over the last year or two. New folks will find us quite willing to help. Yes, while many folks don't like to ship eggs, others will. I certainly will because the cost of shipping more mature birds is prohibitively expensive for most people. As Bob said, reach out via PM and ask. It's that simple. Don't build up a straw man in your mind that all the folks with good birds are plotting against you, somehow. LOL Anyhow, we're going to use this method, which is similar enough to Yard Full O' Rocks' style.

http://www.skylinepoultry.com/Packing___shipping_eggs.html

We've been blessed and quite willing to be a blessing. Paying it forward. If you are sent 16 eggs and 11 of them hatch? That's a pretty darn good way to start to my thinking.

Fred...you had talked about doing an online chicken show or classes showing good and bad points on various breeds. You still up for that?

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom