Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SweeterHeater is also an option for no-light warmth.

http://www.sweeterheater.com/bizweb.asp Click on the products tab to see sizes and prices.

Bob,
I have Icelandic hens that I use for brooding. They are vigorous foragers and fierce mothers. I wish there was a way to set their timing though! In late March and into April, I will gather eggs and put them in my incubator knowing someone will go broody before their three weeks have past. I then transfer the eggs to the hen and let her finish them. They will "wean" them between 4 and 6 weeks. They will brood two or three clutches a spring/summer.

Here is a picture of one of them in the rafters with her poults:

...and one of her teaching them that the Japanese Beetle trap is a great place to find a snack..

I have the home-made wood box type, lol! I'm just going to use lights until I can't anymore and by then someone will have come-up with a clever alternative I'm sure!

I do like that one you posted, just a little pricey for me at the moment. Right now all my extra money is going into my pens and I've already spent to much.....I need to take a break, I have a new baby that's going to be here in about three months so I can't be getting to, to crazy with my chicken "fetish" right now!!!!

Chris
The Brooder Heater is a little pricey but GQF has them 77.00 and they come with a thermostat, the other thing you could try is one of the Ceramic Bulb that I posted a picture of.

Congrats on the new baby.

Chris

The Brooder Heater is a little pricey but GQF has them 77.00 and they come with a thermostat, the other thing you could try is one of the Ceramic Bulb that I posted a picture of.

Congrats on the new baby.

Chris
Thanks on the new baby. I'm excited and scared out of my mind at the same time! My 3yr old is a blast but a 3yr old and a new born together at one time is going to be interesting.

Yea, I'm going to look into the ceramic bulbs when I start to get low on my stock pile of red heat lights.

Chris

If you'll tell us what breed you are interested in, I'm sure someone will have some. Chickens are much easier than exotics, believe me ! We love questions on this thread. We're all still learning. Ask away !
OK, I'll take a chance with this request even though this is a Lg Fowl Thread......

I'm looking for a source for some good quality Bantam New Hampshire Chicks. Anyone know anybody that will be breeding and selling any this year that will answer and or return calls, e-mails or PM's. I have been looking around now for a while with not much luck. I don't need them right this sec but would like to get on a list to get some this Spring or early Summer sometime.

Thanks,
Chris

OK, I'll take a chance with this request even though this is a Lg Fowl Thread......

I'm looking for a source for some good quality Bantam New Hampshire Chicks. Anyone know anybody that will be breeding and selling any this year that will answer and or return calls, e-mails or PM's. I have been looking around now for a while with not much luck. I don't need them right this sec but would like to get on a list to get some this Spring or early Summer sometime.

Thanks,
Chris

Edgar Mongold should be able to help you out Chris, I would think? that is if he'll respond. LOL

(Some)chicken folk are somewhat finicky/tedious or something, sometimes information is hard to beat out of them for some odd reason.

Jeff

Last edited:
Edgar Mongold should be able to help you out Chris, I would think? that is if he'll respond. LOL

(Some)chicken folk are somewhat finicky/tedious or something, sometimes information is hard to beat out of them for some odd reason.

Jeff
I have already contacted him. He only sell adults and does not have any at the moment. Also if you go on the NH Club site he has a post looking for some for me. I also tried the President Dave Johnson (not sure on the name I would have to go look) and he would not respond to phone calls or e-mails. I have been at this for a while and have gotten some responses but the bottom line is.....I'm not on a list anywhere yet or have found anyone with them for sale.

Thanks anyway,
Chris

I have already contacted him. He only sell adults and does not have any at the moment. Also if you go on the NH Club site he has a post looking for some for me. I also tried the President Dave Johnson (not sure on the name I would have to go look) and he would not respond to phone calls or e-mails. I have been at this for a while and have gotten some responses but the bottom line is.....I'm not on a list anywhere yet or have found anyone with them for sale.

Thanks anyway,
Chris

I would guess you contacted Matt and Steve(sgribble) too on this matter, Chris?

Matt seems to be in the know of the NH world.

Jeff

Last edited:
http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_50_Chick_Brooder-256.aspx

The two 60 watt light bulbs have worked so well for me for the past 20 years. I have a wooden box say about 2 feet by 3 ft. a socket and a bulb in it about 8 inches from the corner. If one bulb goes out the other will keep them going till I check on them.

One bulb will last almost a whole season the only other thing is stock up for ten years but the goverment may come and get you if they know you have them.

Mr. Silkie may have to be used with the scrub white rock bantam hens. Get ten sitters that will go broody then you dont need light bulbs

Here is a question will a Jungle Fowl make a good sitting hen?

if not what are your top picks in the chicken world. bob

I know gray hatch game hens are very good mothers. I have had some gray hatch X Leghorns that are excellent mothers as well. Very protective of their chicks I've seen them attack our dogs and my pigs.
Silkies are good broodies as well, and I have seen light Sussex that were very persistent sitters.

Thanks anyway,
Chris

Yes, congratulations on the upcoming newcomer. I can relate with the mixture of feelings. Nothing like it though.

Good luck on the search. I expect that you will rustle some up before too long. You have some extra eyes out now. That helps. I knew of someone that kept them. I will look to see if I can find the contact information.

The ceramics are better than when they first came out. The lower wattage heat lamps made for reptiles work good in the right applications. The 50w and 75w work in the right setting. I do not know about manufacturing, but they are still selling the dark 100 watt incandescents in blue in black (made for terrariums).

Thanks,
Chris

I think Tim Johnson of Weston, Ohio has some. I don't know if he sells eggs or chicks though. His contact info should be on the Ohio National's website. I believe he is the president of that club. If you can't find it let me know and I can probably find it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom