Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, time to learn something new. I'm completely unfamiliar with Corid powder or liquid. Would anyone mind giving a mini-lesson? Thanks!
YHF

Corid is an amprolium based compound used for treating and/or eliminating the possible contraction of coccidiosis. Same compound found in most medicated feeds down this way. I have lost several hatches of chicks to cocci and found that if I treat the chicks as soon as I put them on bare ground that I seem to avoid any issues with cocci

Hope that helps

Ok, time to learn something new. I'm completely unfamiliar with Corid powder or liquid. Would anyone mind giving a mini-lesson? Thanks!
Amprolium - which goes by the trade names Corid, Amprovine, Amprolium, Amprol, and Anticoccid is a thiamine analog, competitively inhibits the active transport of thiamine (B1). Amprolium is used in the prevention and treatment of coccidiosis.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chris[/FONT]

The preparation of goose is the most difficult slaughtering in the poultry spectrum. It can be downright tough. Our goose and duck is sold at $7.99/lb. $5.99/lb is actually a bargain. Those people worked really hard for that goose; they're undervaluing their time input, as many do. Chances are they'll get out of it soon enough, figuring out that $5.99 is not worth their time. Corporate goose can be had for a few dollars a pound, but they're green geese that shrink to nothing in the oven. Here's a link to D'Artagnan, a more profit-driven business that sells goose equivalent to what one would get from us. You'll notice that it averages about $16.50/lb to represent the work and input.
That's the funny thing. The $5.99/ pound was at the local grocery store. They have a specialty area. My husband asked me if I could raise a goose and process it. I looked at him and laughed. Not only would I have to do the trial and error, geese are very charismatic for me. They have too much personality. Like a rabbit, I know I couldn't do it. And I'm ok with that. Give me a chicken and I can though! Duck? You got it! But a goose...I'm comfortable enough with my own abilities to understand it is way beyond me!

Hatchers:

If one elects to transfer eggs to a different incubator on day 18 for hatching (no turner, keep the turning incubator clean, add new eggs at day 18 instead of after hatch and sterilization) what do you recommend? Is still air better for hatchers? Solid state or wafer? Brand preference?

Thanks

Judi

YHF

Corid is an amprolium based compound used for treating and/or eliminating the possible contraction of coccidiosis. Same compound found in most medicated feeds down this way. I have lost several hatches of chicks to cocci and found that if I treat the chicks as soon as I put them on bare ground that I seem to avoid any issues with cocci

Hope that helps
I determined several years a go if I did not use wire floors in my brooder box would not have a problem with cocci. If you have wire floors just dampen some news paper and lay over the wire . Put some feed right on the damp paper. I have not had cocci since I started doing the brooder like this. I raise several hundred show fowl eack year. They will become immune to cocci with this method.

I determined several years a go if I did not use wire floors in my brooder box would not have a problem with cocci. If you have wire floors just dampen some news paper and lay over the wire . Put some feed right on the damp paper. I have not had cocci since I started doing the brooder like this. I raise several hundred show fowl eack year. They will become immune to cocci with this method.
Hi Snowbird,
What's the attraction here? I raise my chicks on wire to prevent them curling their toes
underneath them when they sleep and causing crooked toes? Why damp paper?
How does the damp help?
Thanks,
Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom