Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
See it was another test, as I thought. You got to stay on your toes around here as one can surely get caught off guard by these old dogs. They been ahuntin' for a long time (no offense to ya'lls ages by the way Walt and Bob and a few others) just complimenting the experiences is all!
big_smile.png
LOL

Jeff

Whatever you want to argue about.....you are like a terrier sometimes.

As noted....it is not a great rosecomb....it may have some rudimentary points because he crossed his existing buff Wyandottes to a buff Orp. It is one picture of one bird......

I have no idea why you didn't jump on the Orp part of this. Automatically you assumed Rock. The Orp also gave it a good dose of loose feathering in the females, but he will have that gone in the next cross. The type is very good and the legs are the correct color....it looks like a good Wyandotte that has the normal problems associated with a rose comb.

So now to end the debate..........a picture is worth a 1000 words. This is not a single comb!

geeeez............maybe you are only partially blind.

Walt
I have seen this with Leghorns, whenever you cross rose comb and single comb the rose combs will be kind of crappy for a few generations. But after breeding back to rose comb the combs will show improvement. I'm sure a lot of us know that already.

I think it's nice someone is working with this variety it certainly is one of the rarer Wyandotte colors.

I have seen some rose comb birds that have blades instead of spikes too because of a SC cross .
I have seen this with Leghorns, whenever you cross rose comb and single comb the rose combs will be kind of crappy for a few generations. But after breeding back to rose comb the combs will show improvement. I'm sure a lot of us know that already.

I think it's nice someone is working with this variety it certainly is one of the rarer Wyandotte colors.

It is somewhat common. You see it in peacomb breeds as well. The middle row will have points.

w.

It is somewhat common. You see it in peacomb breeds as well. The middle row will have points.

w.
Now that you mention it, we have a line of pea comb Leghorns at the University, and they have really crappy looking combs, there huge and flopped over.

Those Leghorns are just used for genetic disease resistence research.....not a new type of Leghorn for the egg industry btw...

Quote: Interesting he mentions lack of ability to secrete the black pigment as connected with reduced vigor (in this case due to age). I just culled my first black java chick because it was failing to thrive. It had the same basic color pattern as the other chicks but the black areas were much lighter - more gray than black - and it didn't have any black in its legs or bill. I was already wondering if the lack of vigor was related to the color issues and then I saw this statement. Hmmm.... Maybe yes but I'll never know.

Was sad to cull the little guy because I was curious what it would look like when it grew out, but I made a decision before I got these chicks to cull for vigor the first year. And it wasn't going to grow if it only slept under the heat lamp, getting trampled by all the other (active!) chicks, never making it over to the food and water, and occasionally giving a distress call. Sticking to the plan here.

Bob - I don't have room for another project now, but might in a few years. Good luck with the Mottled Javas.

I don't have much to say today about H chickens. Its so cold down here for me I may have to move further south. Problem is if I go thirty miles south I hit the Gulf Mexico so I am screwed till spring. In regards to these silly Mottled Javas for a inbreed bunch of chickens which they should be these guys are like Leghorns. Yesterday, I went into their pen to give them some expensive feed, clover grass I picked off the side of the road , fresh Kent wood water that I bought them at Winn Dixie and a cup cake my wife said give to the birds. What did I get in return?

They went up in the air like leghorns. One male got so flighty he rad out the open door outside thats great I said to myself he will be lost in less than 24 hrs.. I tried to catch him but he was to quick for me. So I went out at dark with my Q beam that's southern for flash light last night and could not find this sucker no wears. I said that's just great I need two males and my luck Mr. Possum will show up and eat this guy for supper. Got up this moaning went out got him in a fenced in area and found him and he is now in the second building. I was also surprised this guy has good meat properties on him. My dad would say Drum Sticks.

Interesting issue on vigor and color. I have no clue but when it comes to vigor these guys have it. Its going to see in a year what thier off spring will look like. My thinging is they will have correct mottled feathers and as they get older in two to three years they will demostrate more white than black. Why I dont know but maybe I will and can tell you in a few years. The female I put in the pen with the wild Cock bird had real pretty feathers which I pulled one out to look at. So many has to make up the whole bird. In regards to the Buff Wyandotte you wonder if they had to cross Buff Opringtons onto some old Buff Wyandottes to remake the breed? If so there is a five to ten year waiting period to correct the comgs just like when we cross single comb and rose comb reds.

Last edited:
I don't have much to say today about H chickens. Its so cold down here for me I may have to move further south. Problem is if I go thirty miles south I hit the Gulf Mexico so I am screwed till spring. In regards to these silly Mottled Javas for a inbreed bunch of chickens which they should be these guys are like Leghorns. Yesterday, I went into their pen to give them some expensive feed, clover grass I picked off the side of the road , fresh Kent wood water that I bought them at Winn Dixie and a cup cake my wife said give to the birds. What did I get in return?

They went up in the air like leghorns. One male got so flighty he rad out the open door outside thats great I said to myself he will be lost in less than 24 hrs.. I tried to catch him but he was to quick for me. So I went out at dark with my Q beam that's southern for flash light last night and could not find this sucker no wears. I said that's just great I need two males and my luck Mr. Possum will show up and eat this guy for supper. Got up this moaning went out got him in a fenced in area and found him and he is now in the second building. I was also surprised this guy has good meat properties on him. My dad would say Drum Sticks.

Interesting issue on vigor and color. I have no clue but when it comes to vigor these guys have it.

Your weather you have now just left here(La) a couple of days ago and George you better get ready too and have your long handles next to your short legged britches cause its headed your way too.

Mr. Blosl I would like to see some pics of these Javas if you have some handy I can't remember if you already posted any up on here and as much happens here in a few days time I don't know if I could go back and find them anyhow.

I been reading an old book on google books printed way back in 1911 on Plymouth Rocks and they talk of these old foundation Javas and Dominiques of yore now this is when is say were getting into some American heritage for sure. It cracks me up when the book mentions how much these new rocks have changed from 1873 to 1910 standards, LOL
Jeff

Last edited:

Interesting issue on vigor and color. I have no clue but when it comes to vigor these guys have it. Its going to see in a year what thier off spring will look like. My thinging is they will have correct mottled feathers and as they get older in two to three years they will demostrate more white than black. Why I dont know but maybe I will and can tell you in a few years. The female I put in the pen with the wild Cock bird had real pretty feathers which I pulled one out to look at. So many has to make up the whole bird. In regards to the Buff Wyandotte you wonder if they had to cross Buff Opringtons onto some old Buff Wyandottes to remake the breed? If so there is a five to ten year waiting period to correct the comgs just like when we cross single comb and rose comb reds.

gig.gif
lau.gif

All joking aside, I'm sure you are relieved to have him rounded up! I hope his spirit is an indication of the vigor of the line. Would be nice to see you have some success with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom