Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think once people calm down and no longer "want" all the pretty colors, they realize they need to be breeding blacks or some other basic color. I know with me, I started out wanting nothing but BBS. But no more colors. Even just this one seemed overwhelming to get right. Since then, I'd rather concentrate on a solid color. It is my hope that all new people such as I will eventually arrive at the same point. I do love looking at them, and Jubilee Orps are my all time favorite color. But I'll just be looking, thanks.
I think the other colors are interesting, but the birds we have need work and I feel like I can't give them what they need if I go buy a chicken every time I see one that is pretty.
smile.png
Wish I had a clone or two so that I could get more pretty chickens though. But the poor Javas need people and I don't want to let them down. And like you I feel like it's a huge task. Really like our Mottleds though. Saw a photo of a great looking White Java cock the other day that was needing a home but it got eaten instead cuz nobody had need of it. And without a White hen, there wasn't enough incentive for me to drive long distance to go get the bird.

One of our Java organization members found some old photos of black and mottled Java cocks - they sure don't look like our modern Javas. More of a "wild" look to them. Fascinating doing research on chickens.

I think the other colors are interesting, but the birds we have need work and I feel like I can't give them what they need if I go buy a chicken every time I see one that is pretty.
smile.png
Wish I had a clone or two so that I could get more pretty chickens though. But the poor Javas need people and I don't want to let them down. And like you I feel like it's a huge task. Really like our Mottleds though. Saw a photo of a great looking White Java cock the other day that was needing a home but it got eaten instead cuz nobody had need of it. And without a White hen, there wasn't enough incentive for me to drive long distance to go get the bird.

One of our Java organization members found some old photos of black and mottled Java cocks - they sure don't look like our modern Javas. More of a "wild" look to them. Fascinating doing research on chickens.

I agree, we have a ton of recognized breeds and varieties that need work. I think more effort needs to be put to preserving and improving what already have, rather than making up new colors just becasue they are pretty....look at Marans, lots of different colors and inconsistent type.

And really how many of these "new" varieties are just poor examples of some other variety.

I agree, we have a ton of recognized breeds and varieties that need work. I think more effort needs to be put to preserving and improving what already have, rather than making up new colors just becasue they are pretty....look at Marans, lots of different colors and inconsistent type.

And really how many of these "new" varieties are just poor examples of some other variety.

Before the Marans were an APA SOP breed, people bred them with all kinds of things to change or improve the egg color. Not a problem, people can do whatever they like with their chickens, but now they have a mess on their hands. They plan on qualifying the cuckoo and I think white at Shawnee next season. I don't know about the whites, but the cuckoo's have more than a year to go in my opinion. If people would disclose what they have done before selling these things, there wouldn't be such a problem.

Walt

What I have discovered is there is more than one recipe making up some of these breed colors. That is why some very strange colors show themselves from time to time.

It is nice looking at the pictures of the Javas.

I do not know about all of these new color varieties. I don't get it, but can't nock anyone for going for what they want. I am concerned with what makes a breed a breed, more than I am the window dressing. It seams to me that with most breeds, there is a long ways to go before the color becomes a priority.

That is just me.

I think once people calm down and no longer "want" all the pretty colors, they realize they need to be breeding blacks or some other basic color. I know with me, I started out wanting nothing but BBS. But no more colors. Even just this one seemed overwhelming to get right. Since then, I'd rather concentrate on a solid color. It is my hope that all new people such as I will eventually arrive at the same point. I do love looking at them, and Jubilee Orps are my all time favorite color. But I'll just be looking, thanks.

I think the other colors are interesting, but the birds we have need work and I feel like I can't give them what they need if I go buy a chicken every time I see one that is pretty. :)   Wish I had a clone or two so that I could get more pretty chickens though.  But the poor Javas need people and I don't want to let them down.  And like you I feel like it's a huge task.  Really like our Mottleds though.  Saw a photo of a great looking White Java cock the other day that was needing a home but it got eaten instead cuz nobody had need of it.  And without a White hen, there wasn't enough incentive for me to drive long distance to go get the bird.

One of our Java organization members found some old photos of black and mottled Java cocks - they sure don't look like our modern Javas.  More of a "wild" look to them.  Fascinating doing research on chickens.

This. This is the point that I hope it kicks in. When you realize that you cannot responsibly breed every "pretty" chicken you see. Blacks are GORGEOUS. O maybe they are boring to you. If so, you never had a really good black, with that bright beetle green sheen that if in proper condition, almost the bird looks as though it's been oiled.

Last edited:
This. This is the point that I hope it kicks in. When you realize that you cannot responsibly breed every "pretty" chicken you see. Blacks are GORGEOUS. O maybe they are boring to you. If so, you never had a really good black, with that bright beetle green sheen that if in proper condition, almost the bird looks as though it's been oiled.

The two colors that win the most in poultry shows are white and then black.

w.

I like our black cockerels, but the pullets have worse type and that may be why I like our Mottleds better. The blacks have the beautiful green sheen to them and look awesome in the sun - not boring at all. It's just those pullets need to have their pinched rear ends with funky tails cut off and better ones glued on.
big_smile.png
Our blacks aren't quite as friendly as the Mottleds, and it can be difficult to corral them when it's time to go back to the pen - so that may taint my attitude towards them as well. The Mottleds will follow me back to the pen but the Blacks prefer a chase - even when scratch is involved.

I do like them both, but I have a preference for our Mottleds. Overall I am thrilled with Javas though. As I go along and keep learning more, I keep adjusting what I'm doing and the Javas just take it in stride and thrive. It's been great to see the cockerels busting out of size 14 split rings with big old legs. We ate a runt cockerel last week and even being a runt, he dressed out at nearly 4 pounds. Hubby was so excited to have big legs to eat on the two cockerels we've eaten. So much larger than store bought chickens.

The more I learn, the more I realize that I want hardy homestead birds, not just pretty birds. The Javas may not be as showy as other chickens, but I'm more than satisfied with the choice of breeds that we made. Now to just get them improved...a fun challenge though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom