Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone making plans on trying to get some of those Reese birds this spring? Would it be neat to do a poll of the heritage birds to see which breeds folks had the most interest in? The though just came into my mind. I know what I am making plans on working with just wondering what others are planning or doin.
Just picked up a trio of 10wk old Dark Cornish from him yesterday, like little bricks. Beautiful birds and a really nice and informative guy. He is very dedicated to his craft.

Why, there are so many colors of Wyandottes that have gone to the way side and even the poor Rocks. They are just so so birds that would take 100 chicks and five to eight years of work to breed up to have a shot at the white birds in their breed at a show. Yet there are people who contact me who want breeds that are down in the toilet for being true to breed. You would have to be a expert with 20 years of breeding under your belt and have 20 years left in your live to breed them up. Then think of the cost. It is not a few hundred dollars. Its Thousands with a capital T. Who has that kind of money. If you are a good breeder and have been around the block a few times you know your limits in skill as a breeder and what you can afford to do such a project.

There is a lot to say for this. Rare breeds are, on account of actually being rare, in tough shape. I requires a lot of infrastructure to make it happen, and it really does take a lot of time. I've been breeding RC Anconas for 5 years +/-, and I currently have a wager or dare out by one of my friends and mentors, namely, I've been challenged to get an Ancona cockerel on Champion Row at the Congress in ten years. This time frame is meant seriously; so, can I do it in fifteen years? I bet the Dorkings will take twenty or more. 100 years of neglect cannot be over done in short time. I think this is why I come out against projects so frequently, partly out of respect for the current possibilities of our neglected SOP but also because of respect for time. To deal with these breeds, it takes 100 to 200 chicks a year. It definitely can happen, but it will also definitely take that much time and those numbers. I love doing it, but it really is expensive, and I'm always building. We currently run four 4x4 houses, seven 8x4 with runs, one 16x16 house divided into eight 6x4 breeding pens with runs, and five 16x11 growing pens with large free-range runs. It takes a lot to manage it all, but if real, undelniable progrees is to be made with the rarest of breeds, that's what it takes. This is why I'm often saying choose one breed.

On the other hand, the Australorps are so good around here, one breeder consistently puts birds on champion row raising a dozen a year. Another breeder places regularly with Buff Cochins raising 30 or so.

It's all good, but, hoping that we're all successful in our exploits, it's so worth the honesty. What we want to do and what we can do depends so much on what we can afford or what we're willing to do work-wise, or, perhaps, how insane we are (sometimes I wonder about myself). So, when folk say they want to save five breeds, I pause. They either have mammoth facilities and unlimited time, or haven't yet figured it out. I understand that, though, too. I started with eight.....(big hiccup)....

Averted crisis here, thanks to Arielle and Hubby Bob. Went out last afternoon to check on the trio. Have an Arctic blast coming thru here. Juniors' 5 points and the posterior half of his blade were grey. Horrors. The coop is in lights 24/7 but I left the pop door open for more ventilation. bad decision. Emailed Arielle and discussed a fix. Got with Hubby Bob and he trudged out there in minus zero wind chill and installed a second light. now have a 65 watt and a 60 watt light in standard silver reflectors for our 4x8 coop with inside height of peaked roof at 4 ft. . This morning, the outside temp is 13 degrees, wind at 20 MPH. Wind chill at minus 7. The coop is warm, pullets laying and Junior's comb is all back to normal and healthy pink. Even the points. Yep, pop door is shut. Many thanks, Arielle for your help! Hubby Bob is my hero.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
In regards to Buff Wyandottes . There where a lot of good strains forty years ago and today maybe one or two and they may be only worth a 92 to 93 point scored under the old judging system. If you have a nice buff male with a poor comb and a flat chest that's about a four to five point cut. So you wont see me doing back flips down Wyandotte alley over such a bird. This buff color is not a easy color to breed. Even in Rocks we only have one or two good Buff breeders.

So many are in trouble who have been around for 75 years or more and need help that are in the standard right now.

Thats all I got to say. You can do what you want and in ten years we will see how you did if you are still in this hobby. Many are Called But few are Chosen. Remember this. bob
If any one is interested in good Wyandottes get a hold of Duane Urch he has
  • Buff
  • Black
  • White
  • Silver Penciled
  • Partridge
  • Columbian
  • Golden Laced
He probably has the best Golden Laced In the U.S. most of his strains have been closed for many many years.

If you have the room perhaps you could take on a color of Wyandottes as a side line breed just to help preserve one of the color varieties of a true American breed.

I believe the rarest varieties in order are: Silver Penciled, Partridge, Buff, Blue, Columbian, Golden Laced, Black, Silver Laced and White, with White being the most common.

Here is a link to Duane
http://www.standardbreedpoultry.com/breeder/Duane UrchUrch-Turnland Poultry/190

Chalie

Frank Reese also has Columbian Wyandottes.
You are correct OSUman
Frank also has Partridge and possibly Silver Penciled. He got his Wyandottes from Duane Urch several years ago per a conversation I had with Frank. He is running several hundred hens of each variety over winter in an effort to help build up these varieties of birds.

Been below zero here in tropical MN the past couple of days with 30 below windchill. Supposed to be 40 above though on Sunday.

Charlie

Can someone explain what is so difficult about breeding the buff color variant? I can see why it would be more difficult than white since you have the evenness of color to contend with, but it must be much easier to deal with than the laced and multicolored variants. Then again, I don't know; I guess that's why I'm asking.

Can someone explain what is so difficult about breeding the buff color variant? I can see why it would be more difficult than white since you have the evenness of color to contend with, but it must be much easier to deal with than the laced and multicolored variants. Then again, I don't know; I guess that's why I'm asking.
Buff birds are really Wheaten birds genetically. The trick is to get all parts of the feathering the same density and color.If you do not , you will see mealiness, and a light /dark pattern in the feathers, along with shafting. Breeding really good buffs is an art, no matter what breed.They should glisten in the sun with pure gold color, and no patterning visable. A challenge to breed really good ones.

Can someone explain what is so difficult about breeding the buff color variant?  I can see why it would be more difficult than white since you have the evenness of color to contend with, but it must be much easier to deal with than the laced and multicolored variants.  Then again, I don't know; I guess that's why I'm asking.

Buff birds are really Wheaten birds genetically. The trick is to get all parts of the feathering the same density and color.If you do not , you will see mealiness, and a light /dark pattern in the feathers, along with shafting. Breeding really good buffs is an art, no matter what breed.They should glisten in the sun with pure gold color, and no patterning visable. A challenge to breed really good ones.
I would listen to her. I also understand that buff can be arrived at more than one way (while not disputing the Wheaten part at all). Making the genetics geniuses and calculators nearly useless for breeding them well. This is where thedragonlady's good eye is important. From what I've been able to understand, this is an art, not a science.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom