Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I seem to recall Walt saying that he gives bonus points for birds that smell good when he's judging ???? (Because of that, I make a point of using scented shampoo!
big_smile.png
)

I remember turning my finest white Silkie purple the first time I bathed him with bluing. And with his black skin, he was PURPLE. (Except for the yellow bits that never did whiten up in his hackle. Bluing, it seems, just makes the whiter parts whiter - or purple - and leaves the yellow alone.) VERY glad I practiced WELL before the show. Had it down to a fine science by the time of the show and it was well worth it.

I used "Tide with bleach alternative" on my hard feathered blue birds (Ameraucanas). They looked STUNNING. It turned all their "rusty" bits black. NO idea how that worked.

I think it's a respectful thing to do. Just my two pennies.

Tide with bleach alternative -
thumbsup.gif
it's not as drying to the feathers.

Quote:
I would respectfully beg to differ with both of these statements.

We process our own, and I can tell you there is a big difference between processing 10 or 100 or 500. Ask anyone who butchers their own.

I have also brooded small number of chicks and large number of chicks. There is a lot more "effort" and time in caring for larger numbers. You also need the proper space and infrastructure. Large number of chicks can be quite daunting as they grow up. It is the space & quality of care that is the challenge.

My efforts have got me to a point that I do not need to hatch large numbers of Buckeyes to get quality birds, thank goodness.

We have a rule - you don't charge family. That's because we all live fairly close together and call on one another for help on this, that, and the other. We provide eggs, chicken and turkey. They provide scrap lumber, sheet metal, and construction help. It all works out.

That being said, the line is drawn at the immediate extended family of our brothers and sisters and their kids. Unless my in-law's grandkids are over here helping in the garden, they aren't likely to get much.

Yes having resources is a good thing, but finding those willing to trade even Steven is another IMO and findings LOL there's still alot more takers/receivers than givers, unfortunately.

Jeff

While we're on the subject of turning a profit off of chicken raising I have a couple of questions. There are some pretty smart cookies following and writing on this thread with quite a bit of experience so I hope it's ok to post this here.

We had breakfast catered at work today by a local restaraunt and I asked the owner if she was interested in a supply of local eggs, but she was busy and asked me to come by later. I was hoping to get some input on things I should consider before I get too far along so that I don't get blindsided by something later on. Also, any questions I should ask while we're talking would be helpful.

The math part of what I need to charge to make a profit is easy. Determining how many chickens to carry over the winter to keep them supplied and things I haven't thought of yet is different.

To get any more volume in 6-7 months I know I'll have to order more hatchery chicks. Otherwise I figure I'm 15-18 months out if I go the H LF route as I haven't even picked a breed I want to work with yet.

Thanks,
colburg

While we're on the subject of turning a profit off of chicken raising I have a couple of questions. There are some pretty smart cookies following and writing on this thread with quite a bit of experience so I hope it's ok to post this here.

We had breakfast catered at work today by a local restaraunt and I asked the owner if she was interested in a supply of local eggs, but she was busy and asked me to come by later. I was hoping to get some input on things I should consider before I get too far along so that I don't get blindsided by something later on. Also, any questions I should ask while we're talking would be helpful.

The math part of what I need to charge to make a profit is easy. Determining how many chickens to carry over the winter to keep them supplied and things I haven't thought of yet is different.

To get any more volume in 6-7 months I know I'll have to order more hatchery chicks. Otherwise I figure I'm 15-18 months out if I go the H LF route as I haven't even picked a breed I want to work with yet.

Thanks,
colburg

Yes and no. For egg production--for sale--I highly recommend--from experience--a Mediterranean breed. Anconas are excellent, and I'd certainly be happy with a good strain of Lghorns or, maybe, Minorcas. Having a laying flock actually allows you to breed such that you'll be able to foster laying capacity. We used to have smaller flocks of Dorkings and much larger flocks of Anconas. Dorkings laid well, and paid for the feed. Anconas laid well, but by consuming less feed to produce eggs, the eggs could be had at a profit. If you get a good strain of Anconas or Leghorns, you should have spring chicks that produce autumn eggs.

Quote: Great point but what about those folks who want brown eggs. I guess if you dont want the H chicken you go with production reds or cherry eggers. I dont know if that is the purpose of the question about profit. If you had a high laying strain of H Rhode Island Reds you could make a profit selling the eggs not only to local folks for say $3. but if they maintained their type and color as you got them from a good breeder you could get $20 a dozen for the eggs and $8. for a chick at ten days of age ship ed to a new beginner. So if you had a dozen eggs and you hatched 8 chicks you would have $80. minus expense for lights ect to hatch these chicks and raise them for ten days. The customer pays for the postage and the ten dollar box. So that is another angle go H a help the beginners out or go production and sell local. Got to keep your numbers down only have maybe three males and say six females and you could make a few dollars that way. commerical production birds is the only way to go with local egg sales but that is what they are breed for.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would respectfully beg to differ with both of these statements.

We process our own, and I can tell you there is a big difference between processing 10 or 100 or 500. Ask anyone who butchers their own.

I have also brooded small number of chicks and large number of chicks. There is a lot more "effort" and time in caring for larger numbers. You also need the proper space and infrastructure. Large number of chicks can be quite daunting as they grow up. It is the space & quality of care that is the challenge.

My efforts have got me to a point that I do not need to hatch large numbers of Buckeyes to get quality birds, thank goodness.

Chris,

I would agree that it takes more effort to process more chickens. That wasn't my point.

My point was the set-up and tear-down are the same regardless of the number processed. Just like painting a house. It's the same effort to get out ladders, tarps, brushes and pans to paint a 3' x 5' walk-in closet as it is for a 12' x 20' room. And clean-up is the same way. You clean the same number of brushes, pans, and rollers for the big room as for the closet. If I set up a 6 cone/1 scalder/1 plucker operation for 10 chickens or 100 chickens, it's the same amount of equipment. In fact, a low volume operation may end up with more work in the set-up/tear-down than in the actual processing itself.

As for brooding, if I'm using a 4' x 4' hover brooder in an 8' x 10' unused horse stall, the number of chicks hardly matters and it makes economic sense to brood more rather than less. Where does the extra effort come in if I'm checking feed and water twice a day anyway? Is really that much more effort to check a watering trough with 100 chicks and two heat lamps that a Rubbermaid tote with 10 chicks and a single bulb?

Thanks,
colburg
In Oregon, you would need an egg handlers license to sell to stores or restaurants or anywhere that would be purchasing for re-sale like a fruit stand. It is legal however with no license to sell "Farm Direct" off your farm or your own fruitstand on your farm where the chickens are kept and theeggs are laid. Check the laws for your State. The egg handling license here it not too big of a deal or expense but you do need to have a dedicated room with washing facilities, room for candleing (sp?), labeling requirements, etc. and I believe an initial inspection and possibly yearly inspections. Can't remember all the requirements but I have the brochure somewhere from when I looked into it a couple of years ago.

In Oregon, you would need an egg handlers license to sell to stores or restaurants or anywhere that would be purchasing for re-sale like a fruit stand. It is legal however with no license to sell "Farm Direct" off your farm or your own fruitstand on your farm where the chickens are kept and theeggs are laid. Check the laws for your State. The egg handling license here it not too big of a deal or expense but you do need to have a dedicated room with washing facilities, room for candleing (sp?), labeling requirements, etc. and I believe an initial inspection and possibly yearly inspections. Can't remember all the requirements but I have the brochure somewhere from when I looked into it a couple of years ago.

I don't mean to scare you, but it this was me the one thing I would certainly do before selling to a restaurant: Buy at least a $100,000 general liability business insurance policy. If by chance anyone would get sick and the blame be pinned on your eggs, would you be in any way covered against a law suit by your home owners policy?

I had a chance to supply the local Parish (Louisiana version of a country) Prison with eggs. They required me to have the insurance policy. I didn't do it though: After the cost of insurance (which isn't much for such a small policy) and the price they wanted to pay, it wasn't worth it to me. I did however, get a "farm" policy through our home owners insurance since we have Farm Bureau and I sell table eggs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom