Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably depends on your situation.

We have NO shade at all and in the heat of summer here in TX, there is often no wind when it's really hot. It can still be 90-100* at 10 pm. We used styrofoam insulating boards coupled with tile board for the inside walls of the coops. It helps keep the coops anywhere from 5-10 degrees cooler than outside. Which means when it's 110* outside, it's probably 102* inside. But it really has helped with keeping a little cooler despite a lack of shade, and when it is too hot, the chickens will stay inside rather than go outside even though they have artificial shade over their runs.

The roofs are peaked so that air can enter under the eaves and escape out the top - like regular housing construction - in addition to windows and vents at floor level too.

It can be freezing cold with blowing snow and rain and our chickens would rather be out in that, rather than the heat of summer.

Sounds like we have similar weather, except that it is a rare day the air isn't moving, and often it moves faster than I would like it to. We are just east of the mountains, and we get wind of some variation almost every day.

Question - what is tile board?

OMG I can't WAIT to hear!

Tell your husband Bob the Carpenter I will try to have pics to send in the next few days. My own Bob spent the day arguing with a door that has decided not to cooperate and is very tired of the shed project at this moment. Hopefully a good night's sleep will improve his attitude :) If it helps Carpenter Bob, we don't have the roof on yet, plan on doing the sheathing (at least) Saturday, and if we get extraordinarily lucky, the felt and shingles, weather is supposed to move in Sunday, although weather forecasts here are hit or miss. Which means Saturday could be a bust if they are wrong about it of course. Never imagined this would take so long and so much effort.

Question to all - if one is more concerned about heat than cold, is insulation a good idea or a waste of money and effort? Our next big decision.
Insulate the roof for sure as it will keep condensation from dripping on your birds in the winter, as well as lower the heat in the coop in the summer.

A friend of mine got some white leghorns from Danny Feathers and I found this photo of a bird from his line from a good breeder from Arizona. Not many people talk about leghorns on this thread. This is a dandy I found on face book page. Danny's line goes back about 35 years from some old timer he got them from.

Here is a question what Thermometer do you like to use in your incubator.? Has anyone bought and used the one that has a egg type object that you put next to your eggs. I have heard these are very true to the temps around the eggs.

In regards to Light Sussex there was some there. My freind Holly from Pensacola Fla I think got best of breed. At our December show at Pensacola she had a nice string of Light Sussex. She said she got them at the Newnan show a year ago. One judge told me her female was the best Light Sussex he has seen in years and he is a older judge. If anyone is interested in her line send me a personel message and I will give her email address to you. Stunning birds I never saw them befor but all I ever look at is Red Chickens any way.

Last edited:
Insulate the roof for sure as it will keep condensation from dripping on your birds in the winter, as well as lower the heat in the coop in the summer.

If you insulate the roof make sure that you some air space in between the roof and the insulation also have a ridge and soffit vent so that you have good ventilation along the roof, if you don't you will be replacing the roof before it's time do to rot. (just like on a house)

RoofWithSoffitRoofVentAndBaffle.png

Chris

Question - what is tile board?
This tile board we get is about 1/4 inch thick and one side is slick like wall tile. Some are actually patterned to look like tiles but we just get the plain white, slick sided stuff. Comes in 4x8 sheets like plywood does. Makes for easier cleaning. We silicone caulk the corners/edges/any cut edges for water resistance, since the back of it is porous. But that way I can spray cleaner on it and wipe off without having stuff get into the grain of plain wood. And then it makes an insulating air pocket in the wall with the styrofoam boards and the outer siding.

Good morning, friends!! I've been somewhat offline since returning from the Newnan show. My personal highlight was meeting Bob & getting a good bit of his time...Bob, I apologize for taking you away from what you were doing at the time! Anyone going to a show or having the opportunity to chat with Bob in person, PLEASE do so. What a wealth of information, historical references, interesting personal stories about his chicken endeavors...all, without a doubt, priceless!

Also, I was able to finally meet Scott in person - an additional highlight, as we've communicated for some time online. SO glad to meet you in person, Scott, and chat about the Rocks, having some examples to speak to right in front of us. (though not many...kind of sad).

Although the show grounds were just beautiful (the prettiest I've yet seen), the venue, for me, was frustrating. Much too broken up. Bob's right, there were NO Giants to be seen.

I came home (should say WE...) with I think 34 birds...or maybe it's 31....from chicks about 3 days old on up to 6 week olds, and I think there's even one pullet that's about 12 weeks. I should be set with Marans for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom