Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone got there new March Issue of Poultry Press yet? Is there a picture of a Rhode Island Red Cockerel on the front page? Just a rumor I heard.
Yes there is. I got my Poultry Press today. Speaking of this months Poulry Press, check out the Stockton, CA - Pacific Poultry Breeders Association show section. From the picture, what is your thoughts of the White Rock female that won Super Grand Champion of the Show? There is also some nice pictures of some of those large buff wyandottes that were being discussed on here recently.

Last edited:
I'm thinking age probably doesn't alter genetics. It is probably other variables like the condition/health of the parents that are playing into this.
==========================
Hi,
see ,post #11148 The Business hen. He makes an interesting case for the problem laying with the egg itself from the young pullet. Interesting.
Best,
Karen

There is also some nice pictures of some of those large buff wyandottes that were being discussed on here recently.
I can't wait to get mine in the mail! I ordered some whites and buffs from Urch. Haven't received them yet.

Good Afternoon Everyone, I rarely post here but I need some advice and education from you long time breeders. I have just hatched my 3rd set of New Hampshires and after seeing the pictures that cbnovick posted of her 2 day old chicks my concerns may indeed be valid and one that could potentially need serious addressing. Out of 22 chicks I have hatched 16 of them are exhibiting a dark smutty mark on their heads that sometimes continues down their necks onto their backs and is very prominent by day 3. These particular chicks grow faster and feather quicker then the others from the same hatch and also have heavy ticking in their new feathers. From what I have read or seen this doesn't appear to be within the "norm" for NH chicks. These are my very first Large Fowl New Hampshires and I want to do my best to keep them as close to the standard as possible. If any of you could give me solid truthful advice about this, I would greatly appreciate it. Other then this coloring issue and slow to develop feathers on some of them, they are big, healthy vigorous chicks. Thank you in advance for your help and advice.
Have a Blessed Day,
Nan

3-1-13 hatch very large dark spot

3-10-13 hatch no dark spot slow feathering #1

same hatch dark spot on head #2

hackle feathers of #2 chick ticking goes 1/2 way down back

3-2-13 hatch 3 of 4 have this dark spot

Last edited:
Greetings Nan! Where did you get your stock?

I'm not a NH breeder. This is not a question I can answer, but those more used to working with Reds might benefit from knowing where your originals came from. Are they breeder birds or hatchery stock? Do you have an imag of what these birds grow into or is this something new that you're seeing?

Are your adult breeding birds heavily marked in the neck? Could you post a picture of your breeders?

Hello to you as well YHF. This is the path I have been able to track as far as origination of this particular strain of birds. I purchased my trio from Mr. Bill Braden (lovely man I have to add), he got his stock from Scott MIner who I have been told got his stock from our lovely Ms. Kathyinmo :) and I was told her birds came from Doug Akers. As far as true to fact I have not had this completely validated by the people I have mentioned other then the Mr. Braden/Mr. Miner connection as I have not spoke to them personally. I feel pretty comfortable though that this path is correct. The parent stock are not heavily marked so this much ticking was a huge surprise to me. I actually thought this was going to be one of the areas that I needed to pay attention to for "enough' coloring most definitely not too much. I have contacted Mr. Braden to see if he is seeing this same trait pop up in his chicks and am waiting for his reply. I did pm Kathyinmo today to inquire whether she could help me but she hadn't seen this herself and suggested I email Mr. Akers, which I did. Thank you for pulling more information out of me, I get a little gun shy posting here and try to keep things short and to the point. The pictures that I have of the parent stock are not the best, they had been penned up for a few days due to nasty weather and had no interest in posing for a photo shoot all they wanted to do was eat their alfalfa. Hopefully you will be able to see what their ticking looks like. Thank you again for being helpful and kind to me.
Nan

Those look like the head spots that I get on some of my RIR chicks. When I researched I found that research shows that RIR and NH that show the head spot are up to 85% female.

Here are some pics of my chicks, 2 different batches but same line.

Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom