Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone, I rarely post here but I need some advice and education from you long time breeders. I have just hatched my 3rd set of New Hampshires and after seeing the pictures that cbnovick posted of her 2 day old chicks my concerns may indeed be valid and one that could potentially need serious addressing. Out of 22 chicks I have hatched 16 of them are exhibiting a dark smutty mark on their heads that sometimes continues down their necks onto their backs and is very prominent by day 3. These particular chicks grow faster and feather quicker then the others from the same hatch and also have heavy ticking in their new feathers. From what I have read or seen this doesn't appear to be within the "norm" for NH chicks. These are my very first Large Fowl New Hampshires and I want to do my best to keep them as close to the standard as possible. If any of you could give me solid truthful advice about this, I would greatly appreciate it. Other then this coloring issue and slow to develop feathers on some of them, they are big, healthy vigorous chicks. Thank you in advance for your help and advice.
Have a Blessed Day,
Nan

3-1-13 hatch vary large dark spot

3-10-13 hatch no dark spot slow feathering #!

same hatch dark spot on head #2

hackle feathers of #2 chick ticking goes 1/2 way down back

3-2-13 hatch 3 of 4 have this dark spot

I believe the dark spot on the back of the head is the columbian gene indicator. I'm still learning, though...

Those look like the head spots that I get on some of my RIR chicks. When I researched I found that research shows that RIR and NH that show the head spot are up to 85% female.

Here are some pics of my chicks, 2 different batches but same line.

Penny
Penny, I really wish that were the case but I am finding the exact opposite to be true. If I'm seeing things correctly the #2 chick I posted from the 3-10 hatch is looking to be a cockerel to me as is the 3-1 chick looks to be the same. The #1 chick from the 3-10 hatch is still undecided. I am going to take some notes on this. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.
Nan
PS Your babies are lovely thank you for sharing

The chicks in my bottom pics turned out the three with head stripes/spots are pullets, the chick in the back of the bottom pic with the white wing web spot turned out to be a cockerel, and 1 chick that had neither a black head spot or white wing web spot turned out to be a pullet (that thinks she is a cockerel). My other chicks are still to young to tell but I have them separated from each other so that I can keep track of it as well.

Your chicks sure are pretty.

Penny

has anyone on here ever dealt with jerry powell from ohio? he is listed under the ohio national breeders listing but his email is not working. Was wondering if anyone has seen his hamburgs or rocks? he seems to have every color pattern in both breeds.

has anyone on here ever dealt with jerry powell from ohio? he is listed under the ohio national breeders listing but his email is not working. Was wondering if anyone has seen his hamburgs or rocks? he seems to have every color pattern in both breeds.
Neil42141

I had a few of his Columbian Rocks a few years back...compared to the ones I got from Dick Nieuwland, they were a bit small. I did breed the single best pullet in that group to my Canadian Columbian Rocks for a little diversity. I currently have 2 males in my breeding pens that are 1/4 Powell, 3/4 Nieuwland birds.

I may have Jerrys email adress....PM me if you want the address I have

Thanks

Scott

Hello Melrose ! Ha! My favorite cousin lives in Melrose, FL and I plan to go visit her this summer! Maybe I will see you!

About the chicks (The Old Yolks) - none of my (German bred) New Hamps have ever hatched out like that. However, I will tell you - I hatched a few American bred Hamps and they were not a consistent look. Some had odd markings. Honestly, I just thought they may have been crossed with something.

I am going to Frank Reese's tomorrow and I will get a few of his New Hamps and see how they look.

Ive also heard breeding very old birds together you get alot of variance in color and some defects as well. How does age alter genetics?

Age can alter genetics through the processes of gene expression. Stress, diet, and environmental factors like toxins or temperature extremes can alter some gene expression. And sometimes those changes can be inherited. The study of those gene regulatory processes and the factors that influence them is called epigenetics.

There is some good Info on epigenetics and genetics in general on this site I just discovered from the University of Utah. Wish we'd had this available when I was in school!

Info on epigenetics:
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/epigenetics/

Info on epigenetics and inheritance:
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/epigenetics/inheritance/

And some basic info on genetics (not chicken genetics. Basic genetics.):
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/

I can promise they were never out-crossed here. I only have 1 Large Fowl rooster on my property and that is the NH. The only other rooster on my place is a Nankin and he was locked up in a breeding pen as were the NH's, not even sure if it would be possible for him to service the NH hens, though I am certain stranger things have happened. The dear man I bought the trio from would never in a million years sale something to someone that wasn't what it was suppose to be. So if that is what is being suggested please suggest again. I however hope I didn't leave an impression that these unusual markings were a fault of any breeder I had mentioned. That is absolutely not the case at all. I was asked if I knew where the parent stock had originated from and I was simply repeating what I had been told. I was looking for help not trying to point a finger of blame at anyone. This is exactly why I stay lurking and never speak out. I am either left feeling like I have stepped on someone's toes or with a sense of being inferior to those of you who have been at this chicken thing for a decade or longer. I think the knowledge on this thread, for the most part, is invaluable to those of us who are sincere in our desires to help to preserve a breed in need of saving and at the same time trying to do it correctly and to the standard. I wish I had a family poultry history to share and reflect on but sadly I do not. I do however intend to leave that legacy for my Grandchildren and if it means achieving this goal by trial and error I figure I have 30 good years left to get it close to right. It would however help if along they way a few knowledgeable folks would drop a hint or two my way. But if that doesn't happen I will get it figured out. I'm pretty stubborn and self driven and thank goodness I love to read. I appreciate those of you who took the time to offer me advice and help with my chicks. I am truly grateful. A big hug to the kindred spirit from the south (you know who you are) for always having an open ear and words of wisdom to give to me.
Nan

Yes there is. I got my Poultry Press today. Speaking of this months Poulry Press, check out the Stockton, CA - Pacific Poultry Breeders Association show section. From the picture, what is your thoughts of the White Rock female that won Super Grand Champion of the Show? There is also some nice pictures of some of those large buff wyandottes that were being discussed on here recently.

I have not received my poultry press paper yet, but I saw the white Rock in person and it was a very nice bird. For a large fowl to win Best of Show at an ABA national.....it had to be a great bird.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom