Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where we can locate some Rose Comb Dark Brown and Light Leghorns?

A guy is getting back into chickens who is now retired and wants Brown Leghorn. He would like Rose Combs if you know who has the top birds in the USA let us know.

Does anyone know where we can locate some Rose Comb Dark Brown and Light Leghorns?

A guy is getting back into chickens who is now retired and wants Brown Leghorn. He would like Rose Combs if you know who has the top birds in the USA let us know.

I would ask Dan Honour. He has written books on Leghorns. I would think he may know.

I am awaiting delivery of RC Light Brown Leghorns from Duane Urch ...

thanks for the tips I will forward it to him. He does not plan to show them right now maybe Urch has some old strain from the old days much like he had as a kid in the 60s. More baby bombers are coming back to the hobby. That is good.

Here is my German New Hamp roo @ 5 months old with a couple German hens in the background. Would some of you critique them for me and tell me what I should be seeing? No need to be shy on the critique, I'm not thin skinned and just want information. I just got my SOP and am trying to interpret what I'm reading and seeing on the birds. Is the roosters tail set a bit low? Number of points on the comb should be 5. Frank says the color should be pumpkin, which looks right on his hackles but the rest looks too dark? The wing on him doesn't look quite right. It's angled downward, unlike the Reese hen that seems to agree with the SOP that says "carried horizontally". Is his back too short?

Here's my Frank Reese hen. He says they were pretty well picked over but I'm happy to have her. She's a fully mature hen. Comb is a little wonky but at least has the right number of points. Oh. Don't worry about the electrical cord -- it's gone. Anyway, she has a necklace and her wing looks right? Her tail is a bit high? She's a really nice heavy bird. Do you think her strengths are enough to overcome my Germans weaknesses or should I scrap the German and find another roo?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If he's not going to show, why the need to get them from the top breeder? No need to waste precious good quality birds on a backyard breeder. Urch's birds, or those from any hatchery will be fine.

If he's not going to show, why the need to get them from the top breeder? No need to waste precious good quality birds on a backyard breeder. Urch's birds, or those from any hatchery will be fine.
What makes you so sure this person may not wish to show at some point?

I personally find it refreshing that folks want to have good quality birds in their yards, regardless of whether they plan to show or not.

There is the American Brown Leghorn Club. It's one of the few variety clubs I can think of that still actually exists, which is pretty cool.

Mark Atwood atvertizes over 30 years experience in the Poultry Press: 1-336-476-5503, North Carolina. He advertises: SC & RC Light and Dark LF and Bantam

Mark is a super nice guy and his birds are just awesome. Pics don't do them justice. His lights are always show stoppers, although I love the darks, here are the SC that I have from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom