Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
and the ones that dont stand out to sop can be called soup
ya.gif

Quote: ...When we went to the State Fair and looked at their display of chickens that was set up in the livestock barn...those chickens looked like poor photocopies of the birds that we see photos of here on this thread and in places like the Poultry Press.

LOL! Speaking of poor photocopies, here is a photo of barred rocks at the County Fair this weekend. I honestly didn't realize the bird on the left was supposed to be a barred rock until I read the coop tag. Yes, it really does have a brassy yellow color instead of white on its hackles and saddle feathers, and the yellow was much more noticable in person. It was sharply v-shaped underneath. No depth to the keel at all. Poor thing got placed next to one of DesertMarcy's lovely birds. Probably gave it a complex.

It was a great photo op for a comparison shot. Too bad I only had my cell phone. It takes lousy animal photos. Bird's head was up when I clicked the shutter...

yep they don't even look like the same breed lol...
LOL! Speaking of poor photocopies, here is a photo of barred rocks at the County Fair this weekend. I honestly didn't realize the bird on the left was supposed to be a barred rock until I read the coop tag. Yes, it really does have a brassy yellow color instead of white on its hackles and saddle feathers, and the yellow was much more noticable in person. It was sharply v-shaped underneath. No depth to the keel at all. Poor thing got placed next to one of DesertMarcy's lovely birds. Probably gave it a complex.

It was a great photo op for a comparison shot. Too bad I only had my cell phone. It takes lousy animal photos. Bird's head was up when I clicked the shutter...

If you know nothing about chickens and you just see a chicken, you'll probably think "that's a nice looking chicken". But after you learn a few things and realize that there's more to a chicken than just the initial color you see, it really opens your eyes to how much difference there is in not only breeds, but standard-bred vs feed store chickens.

I wonder how many people saw the difference in these birds?

I wouldn't worry about the quality of the picture from your phone. This is still an excellent visual comparison of a hatchery vs standard bred breed.

I wanted to stop using the H word when I started this thread I used it to lure people to it as key words like Heirloom H seems to get people to look at the subject. Standard Breed in the old days meant standard large fowl as people use to say Standards in their articles they wrote. They where trying to get the point across as there was bantam breeders reading these articles and it was about breeding large fowl. Standard Breed means breed towards the Standard of Perfection by the APA.

In the old days guys would say I am going over to look at the Standards. Or Look at the Waterfowl. Just a method of Speech. One thing I have learned on this thread is the location in the country we use different terms for the same thing. I may say something and stir up a hornets nest and I just Phrased it differently.

I am glad for that picture from your cell phone. When you go to a show and see birds like this it is a eye opener. The said part is the people who come to a fair or show thing they have the real thing. Its a shocker to them when you tell them they are not Standard Fowl, or Standard Breed Fowl or H Fowl. I try to be gentle and go with the positive things first. Most of the time they are in very good condition or they took real good care of them and the feathers are all layed down perfectly. That is a good thing as if they had good stock they can produce a bird with a good finish on their feathers and can compete. Many times birds win that are not as good as their competition on finish. If the judge thinks like me and most do they will cut a bird for broken feathers or missing feathers. Then I hope I have a Standard of Perfection in the Poultry Barn and can go get it and show them the picture. This helps to illustrate my point of how the bird should look. Many times they will say that that looks like the picture in the Catalog. Most of the pictures used are Dianna Jacky's fine prints and that's what they should look like but never do. I myself was hoodwinked on Light Brahma large fowl as a kid. Then I saw the real ones and it was a shock to me. I did not give up I got some good birds and they where Rhode Island Reds and then White Plymouth Rocks from two master breeders. My mother wanted the original Rhode Island Reds that she saw once in the 1930s but could never find any. She only had feed store kind for years. But then I got a trio from George Underwood at age 12 and we where off to the races. A term many don't like to here today but she called hers scrubs and mine the real deal. So I some times type that word and boy people get hot about that.

I am sure there are many who Lurk and don't write but you can still learn and practice on your current hatchery birds. Chickens of that kind I would be very happy with if that is all I could get like my mother was forced to have but when the time comes do your home work attend a few poultry shows if you can to see the real deals and then you will be ready to get the breed you wish to own.

If you go over to the Rhode Island Red Tread there are some great examples of young chicks that are between 7 days to 30 days old being posted. When you see these dark chicks and their feathers then you also can compare the chicks you see in the feed store with Rhode Island Red next to them. Then you can see when they grow up they are washed out in color like my mothers old Reds use to look like. By the way the feed stores in my area are selling baby chicks like never before. They just got in 100 production reds in and they are down to ten late Saturday so people are interested in raising poultry and also gardening and raising their own food.

I just planted some of my HERILOOM seeds I got from a nice lady from North Carolina yesterday. Got to plant the watermelons and cantaloupes and other spread out plants today. Something I have not done and a new bee at . Also, I am a new bee in Pen Turning. I am doing things I never dreamed I could do and have mentors who are teaching me on the Internet. These guys are so nice and helpful and willing to share their knowledge with beginners. I think we have done a great job doing this on this tread. Thanks to all who have shared their wealth of information.

Last edited:
I wanted to stop using the H word when I started this thread I used it to lure people to it as key words like Heirloom H seems to get people to look at the subject. Standard Breed in the old days meant standard large fowl as people use to say Standards in their articles they wrote. They where trying to get the point across as there was bantam breeders reading these articles and it was about breeding large fowl. Standard Breed means breed towards the Standard of Perfection by the APA.

In the old days guys would say I am going over to look at the Standards. Or Look at the Waterfowl. Just a method of Speech. One thing I have learned on this thread is the location in the country we use different terms for the same thing. I may say something and stir up a hornets nest and I just Phrased it differently.

I am glad for that picture from your cell phone. When you go to a show and see birds like this it is a eye opener. The said part is the people who come to a fair or show thing they have the real thing. Its a shocker to them when you tell them they are not Standard Fowl, or Standard Breed Fowl or H Fowl. I try to be gentle and go with the positive things first. Most of the time they are in very good condition or they took real good care of them and the feathers are all layed down perfectly. That is a good thing as if they had good stock they can produce a bird with a good finish on their feathers and can compete. Many times birds win that are not as good as their competition on finish. If the judge thinks like me and most do they will cut a bird for broken feathers or missing feathers. Then I hope I have a Standard of Perfection in the Poultry Barn and can go get it and show them the picture. This helps to illustrate my point of how the bird should look. Many times they will say that that looks like the picture in the Catalog. Most of the pictures used are Dianna Jacky's fine prints and that's what they should look like but never do. I myself was hoodwinked on Light Brahma large fowl as a kid. Then I saw the real ones and it was a shock to me. I did not give up I got some good birds and they where Rhode Island Reds and then White Plymouth Rocks from two master breeders. My mother wanted the original Rhode Island Reds that she saw once in the 1930s but could never find any. She only had feed store kind for years. But then I got a trio from George Underwood at age 12 and we where off to the races. A term many don't like to here today but she called hers scrubs and mine the real deal. So I some times type that word and boy people get hot about that.

I am sure there are many who Lurk and don't write but you can still learn and practice on your current hatchery birds. Chickens of that kind I would be very happy with if that is all I could get like my mother was forced to have but when the time comes do your home work attend a few poultry shows if you can to see the real deals and then you will be ready to get the breed you wish to own.

If you go over to the Rhode Island Red Tread there are some great examples of young chicks that are between 7 days to 30 days old being posted. When you see these dark chicks and their feathers then you also can compare the chicks you see in the feed store with Rhode Island Red next to them. Then you can see when they grow up they are washed out in color like my mothers old Reds use to look like. By the way the feed stores in my area are selling baby chicks like never before. They just got in 100 production reds in and they are down to ten late Saturday so people are interested in raising poultry and also gardening and raising their own food.

I just planted some of my HERILOOM seeds I got from a nice lady from North Carolina yesterday. Got to plant the watermelons and cantaloupes and other spread out plants today. Something I have not done and a new bee at . Also, I am a new bee in Pen Turning. I am doing things I never dreamed I could do and have mentors who are teaching me on the Internet. These guys are so nice and helpful and willing to share their knowledge with beginners. I think we have done a great job doing this on this tread. Thanks to all who have shared their wealth of information.
This was posted on the Autralorp Thread:

Thanks for the welcome. My hatchery BAs were purchased from a private party. I took them to the fair and seen a huge difference in size, and conformation. The judge told me that he would not place them as they were poor hatchery quality. I purchased the grand champions and mine just became layers.

Nice friendly judges at shows make a big difference!

regarding hard vs. soft grains: i believe the hard grains are higher in protein. I gleaned this from reading Dr. William Albrecht's first book on soil science/nutrients. Unfortunately, I am in the middle of moving and don't know which box that book is in, so I cannot give a more detailed explanation.

eta:the low protein grains a century ago were produced on depleted soils. Nowadays, some people also report that GMO grains are lower in protein than non-GMO grains, but I haven't read any research that controlled for different soil fertility/micronutrient levels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom