Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For animal based protein, I feed what meat left overs we may have weekly....some low salt wild caught tuna rinsed well....scrambled eggs and lots of the dried mealworms (maybe 1/2 cup per day per adult bird)along with their grazing a few hours a day for what bugs they manage to find here in arid, hot climate of AZ....the birds go CRAZY for the dried meal worms above all treats...even my 2 week old chicks hit 'frenzy' mode when I toss them a small handful....50% protein, 25% fat....all good for extra nutrition and EFA's from the fat for their feathers. They get some calf manna but really do not like it much, unfortunately...even if I hide it by mixing it in wet mash )-: They like some wild bird seed mixed with BOSS too.

In my amateur opinion,
variety is key and by throwing in a lot of animal protein, I feel they are getting all they need for good condition/finish. Despite my ringlet barred rocks are beginning their first adult molt, they have maintained really red combs and still laying some too even in our 115 with lows of 90 heat wave this week. To me, that's the 'proof in the pudding'!! Consistent worming is key as well...that way they get the nutrients and not the parasites!

Bob, here's some more "old fashioned" LF photos for you taken over the past 4 months here in AZ...
wink.png

My 11 Buff Rocks and 1 Buff Orp are doing well...I will post pics soon of them again.

They are beautiful!

I have had two Australorps die of Fatty Liver Disease, so treats for my birds cannot be high carb things like scratch. Animal Protein and greens are what mine get for treats. The rest of the time they get a natural GMO free feed without corn and soy.

isnt it strange that fatty liver always occurs in hens..your smart to get the soy and lots of starchys out of there..

The law prohibits ruminant protein of any form in a ruminant feed. So when you can't have ruminant protein products in a feed mill which also makes chicken feed, your options are limited. That's where soy and fish protein comes into play. And it may sound outrageous, but there is little to no margin in feed profitability. What drives feed prices sky high is the cost of ingredients and FREIGHT.

For those of your who are or will be butchering a bunch of birds, pool all the livers together and try this recipe for liverwurst. Since I discovered it, that is all I do with the livers. It is great, hardly tastes like liver IMO. The stick blender makes it really easy. I just had to share this recipe, it is really good. I suppose you could also freeze the livers and wait until you have enough to cook them and make it. I've just always made it with fresh livers.

Liverwurst
Ingredients:
1 pound chicken livers
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon honey, or to taste (optional)
2-3 teaspoons of powdered onion
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon finely ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Olive oil and/or melted coconut oil

Cook livers until cooked through (approximately 10-15 minutes - don't overcook).
While the liver is still warm, add the seasonings and oil and blend with a stick blender or in a food processor.
Use enough oil to make a smooth paste (I've never measured it, so I'm not sure how much I actually put in, but the more oil you use the softer and more spreadable it will be after refrigerating). I use all coconut oil since I like to slice it for sandwiches. The coconut oil will make it stiffer and easier to slice right out of the fridge, and the olive oil keeps it more spreadable. So adjust according to your preferences.
You can then put it in a container and use as a spread, or pack it into an empty can with the ends cut off both ends. When chilled, slide the liverwurst out of the can and slice as needed.
Or just pack it in a square left-over container, chill and slice.

When you say cook, is that boiling, frying, sauteing, etc?

isnt it strange that fatty liver always occurs in hens..your smart to get the soy and lots of starchys out of there..
The Necropsy report said the Hens put energy into laying eggs even with the Metabolic problem they have which fattens up the liver. After 2 years old they then have a liver rupture in the heat and bleed to death internally.

Certain breeds and hatchery hens are prone to Fatter Liver Disease. Apparently Australorps are prone to it.

My Black Java cockerels have had droopy wings ever since I started paying attention a few months ago. It hit 100 degrees at my place in April, so I've been hoping the low wing carriage was just because they were hot. Today I looked out and for the first time ever, every one of the cockerels had their wings tucked up nice and tight where they should be. It was 107 degrees out! Maybe they are finally acclimating to the heat. 107 did feel cool compared with yesterday's 113 degree high...

Sarah

The law prohibits ruminant protein of any form in a ruminant feed. So when you can't have ruminant protein products in a feed mill which also makes chicken feed, your options are limited. That's where soy and fish protein comes into play. And it may sound outrageous, but there is little to no margin in feed profitability. What drives feed prices sky high is the cost of ingredients and FREIGHT.
I always hear that is the reason feed is so expensive here in south central Texas. Wheat and corn are not grown anywhere within 500 miles of here. But that still begs the question, so far as freight costs, of why on earth then is wheat straw still half the price of a bale of locally grown coastal bermuda hay?

Hay fields produce hay....wheat fields produce wheat.......wheat straw is a "by-product" and the "cost" is the baling (wheat has already been harvested so straw is "on the ground" or baled as the wheat is harvested, so less cost)....usually much less cost involved than the cutting/conditioning, raking, baling and, many times, proper storing, of the hay. Lots of wheat fields in the grain belt....not so many productive hayfields in TX.....supply and demand = cost.

When you say cook, is that boiling, frying, sauteing, etc?

I cook it with low to medium heat in a frying pan with some of the coconut oil that will be put into it anyway so it doesn't stick to the pan. I chop the livers up a bit, not really small, just a bit smaller than whole so they cook faster and more even. Then I scrap it all into a metal bowl, add more oil and the spices, blend until it is smooth and pack into a container.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom