Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have another chicken beginning the same blister in the same place toward the back of the eye just above it. Even the same side eye. It doesn't seem to be at the eye and doesn't seem to interfere with vision but in the next layer that circles the eyes. We have wild birds and some mosquitos so maybe this is fowlpox. I'm sending a picture of the pullet. I'm trying not to picture me at the vet's with ten chickens for shots. Now that's too funny! Maybe could do that myself.
Do I just let it run it's course?

Need help what do you think this is:???bob

I have another chicken beginning the same blister in the same place toward the back of the eye just above it. Even the same side eye. It doesn't seem to be at the eye and doesn't seem to interfere with vision but in the next layer that circles the eyes. We have wild birds and some mosquitoes so maybe this is fowl pox. I'm sending a picture of the pullet. I'm trying not to picture me at the vet's with ten chickens for shots. Now that's too funny! Maybe could do that myself.

Looks like fowl pox to me Bob. Not surprising with all the rain and mosquito's this year. Any spots on combs , or around nostrils ? You can vaccinate the rest of your flock, but you will have to quarantine them until all lesions are gone and healed. Fowl Pox can be deadly .

I have another chicken beginning the same blister in the same place toward the back of the eye just above it. Even the same side eye. It doesn't seem to be at the eye and doesn't seem to interfere with vision but in the next layer that circles the eyes. We have wild birds and some mosquitos so maybe this is fowlpox. I'm sending a picture of the pullet. I'm trying not to picture me at the vet's with ten chickens for shots. Now that's too funny! Maybe could do that myself. Do I just let it run it's course? Need help what do you think this is:???bob
I am no expert, but I have fowl pox everywhere every year. (This year I vowed to vaccinate all incoming birds.) if the spots multiply it is pox. Not much to be done except watch for secondary infection or wet pox. Do they have sores inside the mouth? That is bad news and I would ( in hindsight) take mouth sore birds to the vet. Usually if you can see outside sores, they won't get inside sores. I would open the beaks of nearby birds and check. It is hard to tell from the pic if it is a sore or a scab. Could be somebody pecking?

Last edited:
Looks like fowl pox to me Bob. Not surprising with all the rain and mosquito's this year. Any spots on combs , or around nostrils ? You can vaccinate the rest of your flock, but you will have to quarantine them until all lesions are gone and healed. Fowl Pox can be deadly .

Do you vaccinate once a year for Fowl Pox?

Do you vaccinate once a year for Fowl Pox?
I don't , BUT and this is a BIG BUT, I live in the sand on a hill. I have dry sand covered runs, many wrens eating bugs, and fans running 24/7 in the runs and sleeping coops .Mosquitoes love my O+ blood type, and so far, even with all this 3-6 " of rain a day, not one bite.

If you're where there is standing water, or even with a lot of magnolia leaves holding water for mosquitoes to breed in , I would vaccinate. It's the wet pox that kills. The pox on the faces is just an annoyance.

I don't , BUT and this is a BIG BUT, I live in the sand on a hill. I have dry sand covered runs, many wrens eating bugs, and fans running 24/7 in the runs and sleeping coops .Mosquitoes love my O+ blood type, and so far, even with all this 3-6 " of rain a day, not one bite.

If you're where there is standing water, or even with a lot of magnolia leaves holding water for mosquitoes to breed in , I would vaccinate. It's the wet pox that kills. The pox on the faces is just an annoyance.
I had a HORRIBLE bout with fowl pox last year (very luck so far this yr in spite of the rain)....nearly every bird got it

After everyone healed, none were the worse for wear. I did keep antibiotic in the water for about 10 days to ward off secondary infection

http://www.jefferspet.com/category....hicken-vaccines&utm_term=vaccine for chickens

I have not vaccinated in years but the new silkies and other birds I better. They are five times worse this year. Got 6 inches of rain today and five last Saturday.

Up above is the vaccine kits for fowl pox you guys can order. I am going to tractor supply store tomorrow to see if they have some in their frig. If not order from Jeffers .

It can be deadly. I told this fellow that I thought it was fowl pox. These chickens the mottled javas never been exposed maybe to them or they got bit down here and carried on to Texas. They will live. Thank you experts that is why we come to this tread. bob

Last edited:

I have another chicken beginning the same blister in the same place toward the back of the eye just above it. Even the same side eye. It doesn't seem to be at the eye and doesn't seem to interfere with vision but in the next layer that circles the eyes. We have wild birds and some mosquitos so maybe this is fowlpox. I'm sending a picture of the pullet. I'm trying not to picture me at the vet's with ten chickens for shots. Now that's too funny! Maybe could do that myself.

Seems like an awful big coincidence to have more than one chicken come up with that in the exact same place if it were fowl pox. Always a possibility but it seems a bit weird to have it occur in the exact same place, same eye on different chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom