Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are still around but it has been a battle has you know..... so many culls. At least they taste good. I have a few 2013 hatched birds that look promising. I sure could use a male from you. Will have a good one to sell this Fall?

Yes, indeed, brigs a new definition to one in ten..... Let's see. I certainly will have more cockerels than I need, but, I have my fair share of culls here--far more than not. I'm waiting for some to really step out and strike me. Have you noticed that there's this point where the birds just start talking to you. You look out over the flock one day, and there he is.....it hasn't happened yet.

It's happened with two of my Anconas....2 (!!). I've decided that I've done my "good deed" as a poultry breeder with these two breeds. If anything else comes here it's going to not be from the dregs. I'm thinking some nice RC RIR or, I must admit, I stare with envy at your BRs...the combs, though.

Quote: ok, not being a fan of chicken liver. which bag is the good ones? am I impressed because one bag is bigger than the other? or because one is red and the other yellow?
Thanks
Karen

Yes, indeed, brigs a new definition to one in ten..... Let's see. I certainly will have more cockerels than I need, but, I have my fair share of culls here--far more than not. I'm waiting for some to really step out and strike me. Have you noticed that there's this point where the birds just start talking to you. You look out over the flock one day, and there he is.....it hasn't happened yet.
I know what you mean. You will have a group of birds and one day you will go "Where did that bird come from?"

Quote:
Not a fisherman......sometimes a "fisher of men"
wink.png

Healthy livers are dark, burgundy red (like a good H RIR)....love my "orange" GNHs but don't want livers that color.
I had 17 butchered, she had 25.

I know what you mean. You will have a group of birds and one day you will go "Where did that bird come from?"

exactly, I often think of it as "he showed himself to me." It's like they emerge.

Dorking-wise, on minor level, I still have a lot of comb irregularity. On the major scale, they're too high on their legs.

Not a fisherman......sometimes a "fisher of men"
wink.png

Healthy livers are dark, burgundy red (like a good H RIR)....love my "orange" GNHs but don't want livers that color.
I had 17 butchered, she had 25.

Let me know how you like the liverwurst, made from the good livers.

That's usually a sign of a very high fat diet. Boy with a liver that looked like that in the short lifetime of those butchered imagine what a drunks liver looks like after a long long time of drinking alcohol. Its basically the same thing as cirrosis of the liver is a fat(clogged up) liver from all that alcohol turning into sugar in the blood stream and having to be filtered out after a bunch of years drinking esp. the hard stuff.

Jeff

This is interesting. In my culls, it seems that some of the birds have yucky yellow livers like that but most of them have nice dark red livers. They all eat the same food. I feed them fermented whole grains with different ingredients to try to get the animal protein in there. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom